Rabbit didn’t eat his salad.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s’moresthebunny123

Reaction score
Hi everybody. My rabbit is 4 lbs and every day he gets 1-2?cups of vegetables and 2 tablespoons of pellets. He has been getting more treats lately(just dried herbs and pea flakes, maybe one a day) and today he got the papaya oxbow digestive support tab for the first time. He really liked it. He was eating some hay earlier, and then I fed him his salad. Today I didn’t have much variety, so he only got some romaine, kale, and beet root leaves(because of the virus I go to the grocery store less often as it’s really bad where I live still). He usually gets more leafy greens, so today he also got some carrots. I filled up his plate with his normal amount,but to my surprise, he didn’t eat it. He ate a few peices and then left it. None of the food was new to him, and they were all fresh. He’s just been laying down after that. Is he ok?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 2
And here is a picture of his recent poop(I’m trying to get him to eat more hay and less stuff so he has darker ones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi, how old he is and how long is he with you?
Also please describe his daily diet what kind of pellets (ingredients, how much fibre, protein calcium and phosphorus in them, is that plain pellets or muesli type mix etc), what kind of hay and how much, how often he has carrots/fruit and other treats, what you mean by pea flakes? You didn't mention any hay at all does he have it in his menu?

In my opinion he has too many treats so maybe just not interested in more. Also can be because of dental issues or bloating / GI stasis. So please answer questions about his diet so we can tell you more

Last edited:
Hi, how old he is and how long is he with you?
Also please describe his daily diet what kind of pellets (ingredients, how much fibre, protein calcium and phosphorus in them, is that plain pellets or muesli type mix etc), what kind of hay and how much, how often he has carrots/fruit and other treats, what you mean by pea flakes? You didn't mention any hay at all does he have it in his menu?

In my opinion he has too many treats so maybe just not interested in more. Also can be because of dental issues or bloating / GI stasis. So please answer questions about his diet so we can tell you more
Hi! Thank you for the reply. S’mores is 7 years old and we have had him since he was a baby. I am not sure about the amount of protein and others in his diet, but he gets oxbow pellets and vegetables. They are just plain pellets with timothy hay as the main ingredients! I forgot to mention hay- he has timothy hay from oxbow as well. He always has a full liter box full of hay that I replenish 3 times a day. He gets unlimited hay. He gets a few carrot peices once or twice a week, and fruit once every week and a half or so (usually a small price of apple or banana). He might be having too many treats, but I really only give him one pea flake or herbal peice every day! A pea flake is something that comes in the herb bag, and guinea pigs and rabbits love them. I’ve attached a picture. He took a few more bites and then left again. He has wood, loofah, apple wood sticks, timothy/seagrass balls and mats to chew on, but the only ones he really likes is the timothy balls. Not a big fan of chew toys or toys in general. He doesn’t play as much as he used to. It could be dental, he had his last dental check up a little less then a year ago(we try to go twice a year).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 2
Well it's good to hear that he has hay as his main diet! Also if he is with you for 7 years that means he is comfortable with what you feed him, just maybe there were any changes to his diet lately?

Can you feel his stomach if it is soft or hard, is there any sign of he's looking fatter than usual or something?

Usually when a rabbit refuses food it can be related to dental issues because they can be uncomfortable chewing particular type of food. So i understand he ate his hay and pellets but only had no interest in salad. Sometimer their front teeth get overgrown I had it with two of my rabbits, you can see it easily, but if there's an issue with molars it is difficult to find out only vet can check it.

I am not sure about this pea flakes but generally it is not advised pea corn or other grain treats for rabbits but if he only had one shouldn't be a problem.

If you think he is uncomfortable with his stomach, pressing it down or it feels hard, you can give him a little massage, it won't hurt rabbits love it, I also regularly checking if stomach is soft just moving their bellies from side to side. They like it :)

Well it's good to hear that he has hay as his main diet! Also if he is with you for 7 years that means he is comfortable with what you feed him, just maybe there were any changes to his diet lately?

Can you feel his stomach if it is soft or hard, is there any sign of he's looking fatter than usual or something?

Usually when a rabbit refuses food it can be related to dental issues because they can be uncomfortable chewing particular type of food. So i understand he ate his hay and pellets but only had no interest in salad. Sometimer their front teeth get overgrown I had it with two of my rabbits, you can see it easily, but if there's an issue with molars it is difficult to find out only vet can check it.

I am not sure about this pea flakes but generally it is not advised pea corn or other grain treats for rabbits but if he only had one shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you! There were no changes to his diet, besides having less variety in it. He still has not finished it, I don’t think he is in pain with gas problems or anything. I felt his stomach it was normal and soft. I’m worried it might be his teeth. He doesn’t really like to chew. How do I check to see if his front teeth are overgrown? I’m not sure about the peaflakes. I’ll stop feeding them, I just assumed since they were in his herbal mix they were safe. Oh- and I did give him a belly massage. He loved it! I had done it once before when he had a GI stasis scare. Do you know any signs of overgrown teeth?

Thank you! There were no changes to his diet, besides having less variety in it. He still has not finished it, I don’t think he is in pain with gas problems or anything. I felt his stomach it was normal and soft. I’m worried it might be his teeth. He doesn’t really like to chew. How do I check to see if his front teeth are overgrown? I’m not sure about the peaflakes. I’ll stop feeding them, I just assumed since they were in his herbal mix they were safe. Oh- and I did give him a belly massage. He loved it! I had done it once before when he had a GI stasis scare. Do you know any signs of overgrown teeth?

He sounds like a pretty chill rabbit and will likely let you take a peek, see if you can get a pic of the front teeth at least to put on here, I'm certain someone will be able to tell... molars are harder and I wouldn't know how to check that from a photo and I'm rather averse to sticking my appendages in animals mouths, although someone else may have advice... @zuppa

He sounds like a pretty chill rabbit and will likely let you take a peek, see if you can get a pic of the front teeth at least to put on here, I'm certain someone will be able to tell... molars are harder and I wouldn't know how to check that from a photo and I'm rather averse to sticking my appendages in animals mouths, although someone else may have advice... @zuppa
He is a very calm rabbit, but it did take a little work getting a clear picture of his teeth, and opening his mouth at the same time(I had to do it alone) So I got a few pictures. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 9F8D6A5B-5AF6-4E3A-AA5B-F0B5095A9BA0.png
    9F8D6A5B-5AF6-4E3A-AA5B-F0B5095A9BA0.png
    559.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 7E1AD7E5-E8EF-42F8-949C-204C85497332.png
    7E1AD7E5-E8EF-42F8-949C-204C85497332.png
    634.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 6316E9F1-1A90-4C60-8D47-3F4C9580F22A.png
    6316E9F1-1A90-4C60-8D47-3F4C9580F22A.png
    642.7 KB · Views: 4
I'm impressed you could do both at once alone! Try comparing to healthy rabbit teeth pics on google, they look a little weird, unfortunately it's hard for me to tell only seeing the base of the top teeth, they could be fine

I'm impressed you could do both at once alone! Try comparing to healthy rabbit teeth pics on google, they look a little weird, unfortunately it's hard for me to tell only seeing the base of the top teeth, they could be fine
I did get a better picture of the bottom, it looks like they are fine and hanging over just a bit like they should, right?

Attachments

• 071B2EED-4467-4B63-BB23-50160CA38306.png
    071B2EED-4467-4B63-BB23-50160CA38306.png
    442.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 934D6BF9-EF1B-4CED-A8F7-ACEADB66CCA8.png
    934D6BF9-EF1B-4CED-A8F7-ACEADB66CCA8.png
    495 KB · Views: 4
They look pretty normal to me... has he eaten any more?

He hasn’t, but he has had hay. So I’m not sure, usually he eats his whole salad right away! Maybe I just overthink things. I have stayed up the whole night thinking he had stasis once before... I believe he will be ok. Is him sitting hunched maybe just a comfortable position for him? He’s always done it, and I didn’t think much of it until I read it could mean he’s in pain or has something wrong with him.

Mine will sometimes get full and not finish a salad (and they are gluttons if I have the treat bag I nearly have to fend them off with a broom) but they usually get back to it... it seems good that he's eating hay... Willa always flops very similarly to the first pictures when she's full. I'm glad you're feeling better about it!

Mine will sometimes get full and not finish a salad (and they are gluttons if I have the treat bag I nearly have to fend them off with a broom) but they usually get back to it... it seems good that he's eating hay... Willa always flops very similarly to the first pictures when she's full. I'm glad you're feeling better about it!
Thank you so much! This forum has been so helpful! I think S’mores will be ok! Thank you for the help everyone

I don't know how to check the molars I think vets have a special tool for that. I usually check front teeth once a week and do a little massage of the jaw with my fingers, hoping that if there's something I might be able to feel it, not sure.

I have had experience with overgrown front teeth unfortunately, I was horrified how fast they grew. I've only noticed when he stopped eating vegs, he still was happy with pellets and hay.

Here's some pics of overgrown front teeth, when bottom teeth go longer they can't chew and they start growing rapidly, they still can chew with molars. They need to be filed at vets and they need to eat hay hay hay to wear them down. In your pics they look fine, bottom teeth behind the top.

This is normal front teeth
rabbit front teeth.jpg

This is overgrown

rab-front-overgr.jpg

Latest posts

Back