Rabbit diagnosed with UTI?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsMommy2012

Reaction score
My rabbit started to urinate outside of his box (which he never does). He's completely litter trained. Now all of the sudden, it seems like when it gets "to full" for him, he goes elsewhere. I took him to the vet bc I was afraid something medical was wrong bc I felt he was peeing and drinking more than usual. Dr took blood and everything came back fine. She wasn't able to get a pee sample so she just diagnosed him with a UTI. He's been on Baytril since last Monday and doesn't seem to be improving. I'm starting to wonder if it's behavioral? I went in his cage last night to get his food dish and he peed outside his box right in front of me. Any suggestions?

Neutering will probably help. How often are you cleaning the litterbox? I haven't heard of it in rabbits, but many cats will only use a clean litterbox (I don't really like using port-a-potties that are all stinky and I figure our animals don't either); maybe it really is too dirty for him. I'm glad you had bloodwork done to help rule out kidney issues. Unfortunately rabbits put a lot more stuff into their urine that our traditional dogs and cats do so urinalysis isn't always as useful in them anyway. Of course if you were able to culture something from the urine that would certainly help.
You might also try offering another litter box.

I clean the litter box every day bc he's been filling it with pee. I can't keep up with him sometimes. Loll. Yesterday was a bad day. I cleaned it out and he still went elsewhere in his cage. Then I moved his litter box to where he peed and he hasn't went anywhere but the litter box. Idkk what his problem is. Loll

Rabbits tend to be creatures of habit when it comes to peeing. We find that ours will go in a certain corner of the cage. If we don't clean that corner out quick enough they pick another corner to start using; otherwise, they tend to stay with that corner. Sounds like yours may have just decided to start picking another spot.

Hi--they just do that. They like to pee in various spots and in nature that is the thing to do. It is a territorial thing besides convenience. Older bunns can be expected to be incontinent, especially as sludge issues develop.:headflick:

How big is the box and what sort of litter are you using? You might consider keeping track of how much he's drinking because filling the litterbox every day does sound like too much.

The litter box is like a little cat box. He fits in it fine and it's been the same since I got him. I use pellet litter for rabbits. I buy it at petsmart. And yes. That's what I'm saying. That's why it worries me. But they didn't find anything at the vet.

You said you used pellet litter. Some rabbits that that tend to have sensitive feet or are picky about where they stand don't use the pelleted litter. My rabbit Clover was on pelleted litter for a while and used it, then eventually stopped. I switched her to paper litter and she suddenly started using it again. If that is not the problem, he may be asking for a second litter box. My other rabbit Chestnut will not use any litterbox unless she has two to pick from :p If it is just UTI, as soon as he is healed he may use it again. When Clover gets UTI I give her cranberry juice through a syringe and clean her litter box twice a day instead of once a day. :D I wish you luck!

Back