Rabbit chewing question?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PL-Reef

Reaction score
I haven't bought anything special for my bunny to chew on. Hehas a TP roll that he plays with more than chews. Should I buy something special for him? I wasn't sure if there are certain thing that he shouldn't chew on and could possibly make him sick.

i dont buy very many toys for my rabbits because their prefer things they find around the house. the door stop is a current favorite.
they also love plastic cups, cardboard boxes serves hours of entertainment

Thanks for the reply. But how about there teeth? I thought they might need something special for them. Mine really like the TP roll. He picks it up, chews and throw it.

Hay will help their teeth. My rabbits get unlimited hay. Not only is it good for their teeth, it is good for them.

My rabbits have tons of toys to chew and play with. Boxes that you cut a hole in can provides tons of fun. Mine will make new holes or make the hole I cut bigger. They also love to lounge in there. I also offer paper to shred. Just make sure they are not eating of ton of paper or cardboard. Mine shred it, tear the cardboard and leave a pile for me. You don't want them ingesting a ton of paper and/or cardboard. They love to make a big mess with that. When I am shopping for toys just for fun I love bunnybytes.com. They have a huge selection of toys and good customer service.

PL-Reef wrote:
I haven't bought anything special for my bunny to chew on. Hehas a TP roll that he plays with more than chews. Should I buy something special for him? I wasn't sure if there are certain thing that he shouldn't chew on and could possibly make him sick.
house of rabbits or adopt a rabbit,,have lists of safe toys,,edible,nonedible plants,foods,etc..-stay away from scented things like,cedar,pine anything...i use fruit tree branches/twigs,,-great for the teeth and gi tract,,heavy duty plastic cat balls,are a favorite for my rabbits...one of my males actuall plays basketball/well/-ball into drinking bowl anyway...definately read the toxic lists,safe and toxic plants,,it is astounding...sincerely james waller:wave:

Thanks everyone. I printed out the list of edible and non edible plants. I got him a 5" ball with some kind of rattle in it. He seems to really like it.

Seagrass..balls, matts, whatever! Ours devour the darn things! LOVE LOVE LOVE anything seagrass! And it is excellent fibre too! :)

Danielle

PL-Reef wrote:
Mine really like the TP roll. He picks it up, chews and throw it.
Try stuffing the roll tightly full of hay. He'll love nibbling the hay down flush with the end of the roll, then tearing up the roll to get at more hay.

we always kept some type of wood in their cage for them to chew on. Helps to keep the front teeth worn down.

I'd like to think plastic cups is not safe. Or letting them chew on whatever they choose around the house.

My rabbits both loved beer bottle caps and would push them around with their noses and pick them up and carry them around, that and a small non treated wicker ball stuffed with hay.

I bought chew blocks etc and they would never touch them and almost seemed to be offended by them lol. Rabbits are very frugal they are what most of us guys wish women were like, easily pleased and low maintenance!:D

The best thing for a rabbit to chew on is hay. Contrary to what the people at the pet store sell you or you read in different places....chew toys, blocks of wood, etc. are not beneficial (except to the people that sell them). Hay is the primary way to keep the teeth down (incisors, pre-molars and molars)and what they should be chewing on. It's not how hard something is...it's how chewy it is. The teeth wear by tooth to tooth contact. Wood is far too soft to have any effect whatsoever on the teeth. If you notice your rabbit eat, they chew from side to side...not up and down. They use their 6 incisors (4 upper and 2 lower) to pull hay in or tear greens. The pre-molars and molars are used to fold the hay into something that looks like an accordian. The side to side chewing motion is due to the curvature of the pre-molars and molars. It is advisable to offer a buffet of different hays since each type of hay has a different texture and requires a different chewing mechanism. A rabbit that eats lots of hay will not be obese and will have a very healthy GI. While we do offer toys....hay is our primary chewing component.

Randy

Back