Rabbit chewed on plugged in cords!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollolyptic

Reaction score
I messed up so bad. I thought that I had gotten all our wires out of Crickets reach but I forgot the tv. I found today that all the wires had been chewed down to expose the silvery wire part and fray it and I’m so scared! The tv wasn’t ever on, just plugged in, so does it still count as a live wire, could she have been shocked?
She’s been eating and acting normal and fine... still I’m very scared for her. Also did she ingest the metal and rubber from the wire? What should I do? (I am going to replace all the chewed wires.)

Attachments

• 54CAF78E-D333-4A08-A698-AB35836475A1.jpeg
    54CAF78E-D333-4A08-A698-AB35836475A1.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 7
Your bunny didn’t get down to the wires that lead the electric. She will just have ingested the plastic and metal around from the picture.

Just make sure to fix the wires and thar your girl eat a lot of hay. The plastic should just pass through her stomach. Keep an eye if she start to show discomfort like pressing stomach to the floor, stop eating and so on, it can be signs of gi stasis.

Your bunny didn’t get down to the wires that lead the electric. She will just have ingested the plastic and metal around from the picture.

Just make sure to fix the wires and thar your girl eat a lot of hay. The plastic should just pass through her stomach. Keep an eye if she start to show discomfort like pressing stomach to the floor, stop eating and so on, it can be signs of gi stasis.
I will make sure to watch her carefully and try to get her to eat as much hay as I can. Do you think she can pass the metal okay? I’m worried about it scratching or injuring her stomach!

They normally don't ingest it. Cords are treated like twigs that are in their way, or as a very satisfying gnawing toy. But they don't eat that stuff. My Fury wouldn't have needed any hay for all the cords she destroyed, USB are her favorite...

Even if she did get to a live wire, it would need some bad luck to cause real harm, their paws are insulated with fur, and depending on what kind of floor she was on the shock shouldn't be too severe. You wouldn't see much of the wire if that happend. A real risk for burns is when she gets to the two wires at the same time.

Since she's acting normal I guess nothing severe happend.

I will make sure to watch her carefully and try to get her to eat as much hay as I can. Do you think she can pass the metal okay? I’m worried about it scratching or injuring her stomach!

As Preitler told you, they rarley eat the plastic or metal but some bunnies like one of mine did it and got GI stasis. He’s quite small so a small bit of plastic for normal sized bunnies will be big for him.

But all the time one of my bunnies manage to find or drag down a wire, nothing have happened. Only one of my bunnies did get electric in her but she didn’t run away or hid. It sounded way worse than how my bunny reacted. She flopped and looked proud over destroying the wire.

We have now no wires on the floor and also have eletric switch/ timers on all the wires the bunnies might drag down if they climbed up a furniture. Just an extra precaution but my bunnies aren’t as much climbers as they was as a kit.

So you don’t have to panic that much. Your bunny will be safe but always good to keep an eye if a change happens. But it will often not happen.

Thank you SO much to everyone who replied, you saved my sanity! This is my first bunny and I’m fretting like my mother. Bunnies have way more determination to get into things than I could have imagined!

Latest posts

Back