rabbit breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nael

Reaction score
Hi there my names Nael and i have 2 house bunnys they are both about 1 year old  i dicided 2 breed them i put the doe in the bucks cage and they mated. one week later i put them back together and now they dont breed the doe just lays down as soon as she is put in the bucks cage does this mean that she is pregnent? if so is there any thing that i need to do ? the bucks a rex and the does a french lop.  any help u can give will be appreciated

Nael

• Is there a particular reason you are breeding these two?
  • SHOULD these two rabbits be bred?  Do you know their ancestry and do you know if they carry any genetic health defects that SHOULD NOT be continued?
  • Are you prepared for the possibility of losing your doe due to kindling difficulties and the possibilities of stuck kits?
  • Do you have a fall back plan for the kits in case their mother doesn't nurse them?  Are you aware that hand raising is very difficult and the chances of any single kit surviving through bottle raising is about 25%?
  • Do you have homes for the offspring once they're ready to leave their mom?
  • What are you going to do with them if one of the homes changes their mind?
These are all very important questions, although tough, are what must be considered before introducing a buck and a doe for breeding.<

Since you've already introduced them (did you write down the exact date of the initial pairing?)... your best bet would be to read this thread: PIN:The Bunny - From Conception to Weaning and BreedingBasics

If you still have questions after reading it... we'll be happy to help as best we can.

Good Luck!

~Sunshine

hi thaks :) for you reply i am going 2 keep the kits i have a big house and garden for them 2 play in. i have recorded the date the mated. if there is anything wrong with the doe then i will take her 2 the vet`s i am off from work for a long time so i have the tim 2 spent with the rabbits both rabbits have good backgrounds . i have lots of pets 2 dogs 1 german shepered and 1 akita . i have hampsters , fish , of all kindes and lots of birds.
how long does it take for the kits 2 be born.

Thanks
Nael

nael wrote:
how long does it take for the kits 2 be born.

Please read the thread I linked for you before... all the needed information is there including gestation information.

i am going 2 keep the kits i have a big house and garden for them 2 play in

Are you aware that French Lops kindle litters upwards of 12 kits?  Do you have plans to neuter and spay all the offspring so as not to result in unplanned litters?  Also, once the bucks reach maturity, they will fight with and even kill other males.  Does could also do the same with other does.

I'm not trying to upset you... that is not my intention.  I just want to make sure you are fully prepared for what's to come... and that you are aware these things that I'm mentioning do happen, not just sometimes... but all the time.

~Sunshine

hi ya thaks for the link and i understand your consern. i was going 2 get them neutered and i have frends that want bunnys i have found 10 homes for bunnys so if there is 2 many for me then i have homes for them and i am aware the when they get older they may fite.

thanks
Nael

Latest posts

Back