Rabbit Breed for Beginning Breeder?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonangel

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I tried himalayan breed, I love them but they got smut! That is a disqualification for showing so I decided I will continue breeding them, but I want to expand my rabbitry and get another breed. I have no clue which one to choose though! I need some help, what breeds do you all recommend?

I am willing to take whatever qualities, I just would rather not have an angora or a meat rabbit. Any size between 1-10 pounds is what I'm aiming for! :D

I would recommend finding a breed you like and want to work with. There are so many breeds and some are very different. Each breed has it's own challenges and some people don't want to deal with some things (like how dwarfs have peanuts or the tough markings of a dutch).
I see many breeders get a few rabbits of a breed and decide a few months later they don't lie the breed or there is no market in the area. If you can pick one you like and there is a suitable market for them (pets, show, other breeders etc), it does make it easier.
Go to a show to see the breeds in person. Do some research on them as well and talk with people who have that breed.

If you find a breed you like we can always give you an idea on what to expect. Did you want a popular breed like a holland, mini Rex, or Netherland? Or something not so popular like silvers, lilacs, or Belgians?

Or we're you looking for something similar in personality to the himi? My mom used to show himis too and she switched to polish because there was more competition but polish had similar disposition

I do have my eyes set on a few breeds and I'm desperately trying to research them lol. I've been looking at:
-Belgian Hare
-Checkered Giant
-Dwarf Hotot
-English Spot
-Netherland Dwarf
-Polish
-Rhinelander
-Satin
-Mini Satin
-Tan

Can anyone give me an idea on any if these breeds?

Belgian Hares are rare and can be hard to breed. They do have some special needs and should be kept in a large, solid bottom cage. They are more fine boned, so can have some issues with that. They are on the bigger side, around 9 pounds full grown.

Checkered Giants are big, over 10 pounds full grown. They do have a reputation for some aggression, but they can depend on the rabbit. They do have a somewhat specific coat pattern, so it can be hard to get well marked rabbits for show.

Dwarf Hotots also have a very specific coat pattern and many individuals don't fit the pattern. This means that few are show quality. They do make good pets, so there would be an outlet for the non show ones. They are small, so don't take up too much space or eat a ton. Being dwarfs, they can have peanut babies, about 25% of the kits born could be peanuts and will not survive.

English spots again have a specific coat pattern. Some might have very few marking and be mostly white, while others can have too much colour and almost be a solid dark colour. They are nice rabbits, but not too common as pets. They can be good for rabbit hopping though.

Netherland Dwarfs also have the dwarfing gene, so do produce peanuts. They can also have a reputation for not being too friendly, but most I have seen are pretty social.

Polish seems to be an easier breed without too many issues. I believe they are just bred small and don't have the dwarf gene.

Rhinelanders are another big breed, being about 8-10 pounds full grown. They are like the English Spots in that they have the specific markings but can also have some with not much colour or too much. They are pretty friendly.

I don't know too much about the Satin or mini Stain. They seem to be good and not too much trouble.

Tans are good for colours and markings as there are only 4 colours and pretty much all of them are well marked for shows. I have heard they are not great mothers, so that can be hard for breeding. They are a high energy breed and can be high strung. They are friendly and a lot of fun, but not for everyone.

Checker giants are known for being very aggressive, so you should be careful. I really enjoyed mini satin, but they do have a sassy attitude lol. I hear polishes are fun. Have you seen thriantas? They are good rabbits, my friend breeds them.

I do have my eyes set on a few breeds and I'm desperately trying to research them lol. I've been looking at:
-Belgian Hare
-Checkered Giant
-Dwarf Hotot
-English Spot
-Netherland Dwarf
-Polish
-Rhinelander
-Satin
-Mini Satin
-Tan

Can anyone give me an idea on any if these breeds?

Belgian Hares require solid bottom floors, which typically means more cleaning. They also have very fragile immune systems, mainly due to them being a rarer breed with less genetic diversity. Checkered Giants, Dwarf Hotots, English Spots and Rhinelanders are marked breeds that require specific patterns. For those reasons, I wouldn't recommend any of those five breeds for a beginner breeder. If you really had a strong attachment to one, you can certainly pursue the breed you have the most interest in. But if there are others you're thinking about, I'd lean toward something a little less challenging for the time being.

Polish have great personalities, so they make fantastic pets. It's easier to learn their body type and breeding stock is readily available. I highly recommend them to anyone - pet, breeding, show. They're a great breed.

Netherland Dwarfs are very popular as both pets and show rabbits, but that also means they're a very competitive breed. Quality show stock starts in the $100's and show classes are often large, with lots of competitors. They're a cute breed with a nice temperament, but it depends what you want to invest in the project.

I've heard varying things on Satins, Mini Satins and Tans, but don't have personal experience with them.

I did some research on breeders around me and my goodness you wouldn't believe how hard that knocked the list down! I've also heard of checkered giants being mean, just the other day my friend got bit by one! Belgian hares don't seem to be in my area, as well as dwarf hotots strangely enough. I think I will aim for Rhinelanders, Polish, Satin, Mini Satin, or Tan.. I want a rabbit that I might teach to show jump but not sure yet, right now I'm trying to find a breed that would have good temperament (unlike the Checkered Giants!) I'm totally open to breed suggestions as well!

And anyone know breeders in the colorado-Wyoming area? That would help a lot!

If you are wanting to do rabbit hopping, Tans do well. Rhinelanders and Belgian hares are a bit big for it, but can do well. A polish could do well as well. Breeding for the hopping ability can be tough and there really isn't a big market for hoppers.
A lot can depend on the individual rabbit. I have 2 tan bucks and they are quite different. All breeds do have different individuals.

If you are going for temperament, Polish are good rabbits and seem to be farily even tempered throughout the breed. They could do well at rabbit hopping and make good pets. They are not usually overly popular, so not too much competition at shows.

I know a tan breeder in Cheyenne, WY. Her rabbitry is rockin j rabbitry.
There's also some polish breeders in Colorado.
http://americanpolishrabbitclub.com/members.htm

I don't see any rhinelander breeders but you could try contacting a director: http://www.rhinelanderrabbits.com/officers.htm
Travis finkle would be contacted for Wyoming. You might want to ask him about Colorado too.

I'm not sure how good satins would be for hopping as they are a larger rabbit. But here's the breeder directory for satins and mini satins:
http://www.asrba.org/breeders.php

Polish are a relatively easy breed to keep and they do make good pets because of their lower energy level. I've never tried rabbit hopping with them...I might have to coerce with treats to get them to do it :D. They can have peanuts because netherland dwarfs were introduced into the line to keep the breed standard to under 3 lbs; however, they don't occur nearly as often as in dwarfs.

Latest posts

Back