Rabbit bonding advice thread (sorry)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laus

Reaction score
I need some help please, I have a new Zealand white and yesterday I rescued a male rabbit he is neutered she isn't, she will be neutered next Friday, I wasn't going to get a rabbit as a friend for her so soon as of course I wanted her spayed first and I haven't had her that long, but looking through free ads, I saw an add for these rabbits who were getting neglected and as I was going to get her a friend in the future I though why not,the neutered rabbit is healthy and eating pooing well. went to the vets this morning and he is fine, Now I have them in the front room with me they each have a pen 4ft by 2 ft I know they are a little small but they will get more room when bonded. I have then pens next to each other so no harm can be done, I have added extra bar mesh panels between them as yesterday she was trying to bite him though the bars she isn't doing this the morning and they are content to lay and behave normally. Please tell me what to do to bond them, I understand that she is need neutering first and the given time for hormones to die down between 2 and 6 weeks, I normally let her free range for 2 hours a day, but now I am unsure of what to do for best by them, I would really like some advice

Hello,

I am new at bonding rabbits too , but I just sucessfully did a boy & girl bonding not too long ago. I started by putting them in a neutral territory 15 minutes a day, and watching in case of fighting. Then I kept expanding the time , 30min, 45min, 1 hour, 1 and 15min, 1 and half. After an hour and a half, I didnt really have to watch them anymore and they really started to like each other and get used to eachother. Then about a week after that , I moved them into a cage together, and now they are in a big hutch. So far everything has been fine, just dominace humping , which is normal. My girl is domiant , im guessing your will be too.

Thank you Tally, I she is due to be spayed next Friday were your rabbits spayed when you bonded them ? just wondering if bonding could be started before she is spayed, please advise, also are their pens ok being next to each other now before the spay

Yes, both of my rabbits were spayed when I bonded them. I advise waiting to bond them until after she recovers from being spayed (its a lot harder for girls then boys). I had my rabbits pens right next to each other , I think it is better that way , because that way they smell each other and get used to living close together.

great ok no problem I will wait in no rush, and as long as I am doing the right thing at the min by having the cages so they can smell each other I am happy with that, just one more quick question please, I normal let my rabbit have 2 hour free time around the front room, I haven't let her today as I was scared because of him being there also incase she didn't like it, would it be ok to let her have 1 hour and then put away in her cage while he is in his cage and then let him have 1 hour and her to be in her cage?

Ya, I think that sounds good, I used to do that too , but my cages were up like on a table , so they did not see eachother.

tally thank you so much for your help it is very much appreciated :D

Latest posts

Back