Rabbit bonding 101

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleEskimo

Reaction score
I have a female bun, around 9-10 months. She has been spayed and i'm planning on getting her wormed, injections etc.
I convinced my mum to let her get a friend. I was going to adopt a male rabbit. All the shelters here say they neuter and jab their rabbits so that should be sorted.

But basically how do I go about doing it? I need as much help as possible because I want to try my best to make this a smooth bonding. Please help :)

well, before you get the other bunny, be sure that your doe isn't moody/tempormental. Though she's fixed, that doesn't mean she'll *definitly* get along. First, let them sniff occationally. THen you can let them through a wire fence have a few minutes supervised to sniff. Keep doing that for a while and let them get used to each other. Slowly you increase the ammount of time. Eventually you can Sit with both but be very carefl they don't fight. Slow and steady is the best you can do. Don't rush anything. Take your time.

Well while she was going through puberty she was horrible lol, even ended up chasing my dog around :S
But now she seems a lot more loving and inquisitive and her and the dog get on well :)
I was thinking of getting a new 2 level hutch (take out the ladder) and switching them between each others area for a while so they get used to smells and letting them see each other through the mesh too. Then after a while of that id have to find a neutral area and let them meet face to face without mesh while I watch...Is this a good plan to go by???
:)

that might work- I'd almost think they'd get really into marking their areas. But it totally depends on the bunnies. Make sure they get along through the mesh before letting them sniff without. Also, maybe the first time, stick one or both on harnesses so you can yank them apart if someone gets mad and decides to fight.

Latest posts

Back