Rabbit ate mushroom by accident

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bridgette

Reaction score
Hi,

My rabbit ate a slice of cooked white button mushroom by accident. Please tell me what to do.

thanks

Attachments

• D0BD76AF-FC30-4520-8257-4D0E316823E4.png
    D0BD76AF-FC30-4520-8257-4D0E316823E4.png
    326.3 KB · Views: 8
Is your bunny still acting normally or has he/she started to act different?

Make sure your bunny is eating hay and drinking water. That will help push things through it’s system.

He is acting normal, but it’s night time here and vets are closed. I’m worry he will deteriorate in midnight and die. I’m so worried

Just make sure he keeps eating hay and drinking water. If he still acts normal, is active, and is eating and drinking, the mushroom will most likely have passed through his system completely in 6-8 hours. Just keep monitoring for any abnormal behavior.

Bunnies often eat things they aren’t supposed to (mine has eaten rubber for example😓) and other members have had their bunnies eat a leaf or two of toxic plants. In all the scenarios, the key is monitoring to make sure they act normal and are continuing to drink water and eat hay.

If he starts to refuse to drink/eat and isn’t acting normal, you can massage his belly and try hand feeding him. In that scenario you could also contact an emergency vet.

However, if he seems normal and is eating and drinking, just keep an eye on him. He may get through it fine on his own.

Thank you both so much for the advice and reassurance. Really is comforting and helpful. He is acting fine, eating hay, drinking and pooping. Will continue to monitor him.

thanks so much

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 4
I agree with Moonshadow. Just keep monitoring your bun and as they seem to be doing fine, it's likely they will get over it and be absolutely fine in the morning. Rabbits are known to eat a slew of clearly inedible items, mine have run off and ate a rubber eraser, a piece of pencil and even paint chipping off our old firewall. They gobble it down with lots of hay and flush everything down with water and are good to go the next day.

Since it was an edible variety and a small amount I figured he would be fine--glad to hear he's okay. We had a male Doberman that ate towels, wash cloths, under wear, plastic chew toys, the knobs,wiring and gas line off the BBQ, an old painted aluminum dryer vent, my tennis shoes and so many other things that should have taken him out but didn't--finally, I figured he was really a goat in a dog suit.

Latest posts

Back