Rabbit ate mini rolling papers...sos

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnymama99

Reaction score
This is embarrassing I don’t know if I should even mention this to the vet so I wanna see your opinions first before I actually get tooooo worried and freak out for no reason. We’ve all been there when our rabbits have ate something they shouldn’t of. Sneaky ones for real.. I had a pack of mini zig zag rolling papers on my dresser (half done so it wasn’t a full pack & the cardboard was already somewhat ripped cause of me so it wasn’t full) It’s for smoking cannabis. I’m assuming they ate the entire pack because it’s no where to be found. I found dropped papers behind their area & they must of when I was sleeping because basically I have them transitioning off alfalfa hay & they won’t eat anything but alfalfa. Last night they had different fresh hay out they didn’t eat it and preferred my papers. I’m stressed about this because its still papers with minor glue on each paper. Has anyone dealt with this, will my rabbits be okay..it’s still cardboard technically/thin papers mini it’s just the glue part that’s worrying me the most they’re still acting normal and acting like they are starving. It’s two rabbits as well I just don’t know if they shared or if one just finished it. :( (ps. I kept them away from them from it so long most thing I know they aren’t suppose to be around as well I don’t even know how they managed to climb to grab it)

Attachments

• 7D620789-2DC7-4604-A805-74004B603AE3.jpeg
    7D620789-2DC7-4604-A805-74004B603AE3.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2
Those papers are made from wood pulp and flax, and the glue is gum arabic. Some studies have been done that say that gum arabic (acacia gum) is good for growing rabbits, as a pre-biotic.

https://idosi.org/gv/gv19(1)17/2.pdf
Noting that should cause a problem, but it's always best they not eat them, and continue to monitor them during this time!

They probably taste great to rabbits, but I'd keep pushing hay. Form my experience, they will hold out for as long as they can for the foods they want, rather than the foods they need, so it may look like they aren't eating, but chances are, they are just being fussy, and eating some... which will increase.

Are they drinking water normally?

Those papers are made from wood pulp and flax, and the glue is gum arabic. Some studies have been done that say that gum arabic (acacia gum) is good for growing rabbits, as a pre-biotic.

https://idosi.org/gv/gv19(1)17/2.pdf
Noting that should cause a problem, but it's always best they not eat them, and continue to monitor them during this time!

They probably taste great to rabbits, but I'd keep pushing hay. Form my experience, they will hold out for as long as they can for the foods they want, rather than the foods they need, so it may look like they aren't eating, but chances are, they are just being fussy, and eating some... which will increase.

Are they drinking water normally?
Thank you so much! You’ve eased my worries on this & regarding them holding out it’s been really stressing me out because they really make it look like they aren’t touching anything at all. Their water bowl was near empty this morning so they have throughout the night & I refilled it once I woke up so far they haven’t just yet usually they nap now. They were active though when I posted this & had a bit of hay because I smeared banana in it.

Well, I'm no vet, that's just my two cents!

I would monitor their hay intake, but they can be stubborn! Do they get anything else to eat throughout the day? Are they eating that?

When transitioning food of any kind, it's best to phase it in slowly. Start with about 25% timothy and 75% alfalfa, move to 50/50, and so on... Their digestive systems are delicate, and can get out-of-whack with abrupt diet changes. Hay isn't normally a big deal, it's more about tricking them into eating it! 😂

This is embarrassing I don’t know if I should even mention this to the vet so I wanna see your opinions first before I actually get tooooo worried and freak out for no reason. We’ve all been there when our rabbits have ate something they shouldn’t of. Sneaky ones for real.. I had a pack of mini zig zag rolling papers on my dresser (half done so it wasn’t a full pack & the cardboard was already somewhat ripped cause of me so it wasn’t full) It’s for smoking cannabis. I’m assuming they ate the entire pack because it’s no where to be found. I found dropped papers behind their area & they must of when I was sleeping because basically I have them transitioning off alfalfa hay & they won’t eat anything but alfalfa. Last night they had different fresh hay out they didn’t eat it and preferred my papers. I’m stressed about this because its still papers with minor glue on each paper. Has anyone dealt with this, will my rabbits be okay..it’s still cardboard technically/thin papers mini it’s just the glue part that’s worrying me the most they’re still acting normal and acting like they are starving. It’s two rabbits as well I just don’t know if they shared or if one just finished it. :( (ps. I kept them away from them from it so long most thing I know they aren’t suppose to be around as well I don’t even know how they managed to climb to grab it)
I must add ive visions of Dylon from magic roundabout now 😂 but at least it was only your papers 😊😉
Mine likes to shred newspapers and don't think he's eats any. They can be wee rascals esp if 2 of them !

Back