Rabbit ate bad pear?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm really worried. As usual I let out my rabbit from her cage. I supervise her but I had to check something on the internet. Winter(my rabbit) has never really made any trouble. I've only had several pee accidents over a long time.

Anyways. A bit later(5-10 minutes)I come back and she had chewed though one of those black plastic garbage bags(just a small hole in the corner) that was on a chair filled with pears. My mom was going to make pear jam but never got to and we were going to feed them to the chickens today, but I guess Winter got to them first...

The pear doesn't have mold on it but the top half of the pear's inside is kind of brownish and is mushy. I'll get a picture if anyone wants.

I've heard pears are okay for bunnies but, obviously, certainly not rotten and not half of it! It wasn't quite half, though, but I don't think that matters.

Winter is a two year old French Lop. She eats alfalfa pellets(I've been looking into switching to timothy pellets), hay, and veggies that are mainly carrot tops and parsley, with some occasional kale(only a little bit twice a week or so) and a little bit of broccoli leaves(same amount as kale). I give her some apple, her favorite, on occasion.

What do I do? I'm really worried about her. Will she be okay? This happened very recently, a half hour ago or so, so I can't list symptoms.

She may just have gotten stuffed, but eating pear seeds, like apple seeds, isn't good.

Also, since you mentioned her diet, it sounds like she;s getting way too much calcium. Besides the alfalfa pellets, carrot tops have 10x the calcium of any other veggie. Romaine or leaf lettuce is so much better for rabbits.

Thank you Imbrium, and LakeCondo for the diet information. I'll get some of that lettuce for her. Also I don't think she ate the seeds, I think she ate mostly around them.

I'm glad she'll be okay, I'll monitor her closely.

Latest posts

Back