rabbit and guinea pig

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyzra

Reaction score
Here are two pictures of my rabbit Frog and my friends guinea pig simon. He unfortunately died a little while after...which is too bad because they were great friends right from the start! they only met once but within seconds they were grooming eachother.

frogandsimon.jpg
frogandsimon2.jpg

Both are very pretty, but I would be worried the piggy died due to coming in contact with the bunny. Rabbits carry(or most, I do not remember what I read) Bordatella, what dogs get, and it does not normally bother the rabbits but it kills piggies. I have had at least one piggy die from it after a 2 hour ride with rabbits. It was so hard caring for the piggy the last days. Did a vet check it before or after it died?

Your bun looks a lot like my bunny Hermione, RIP. Your guy just has the cute little white nosey :D

uh oh...i really hope it wasnt that! She didnt take him to the vet beforehand because he died pretty suddenly i think. Does this thing have any symptoms? I feel horrible that it may have been my fault...but neither of us knew about this Bordatella thing. I think she was suspicous that he might have diabetes...could that have killed him? I think he was relatively old as well. Thanks a lot for letting me know about this thing...ill never put my rabbit in contact with anything again besides another rabbit lol.

Many users on here will agree with what I'm about to say....
My French Lop Queeny, lives with 3 Guinea Pigs. Queeny is fat and lazy and lets the piggies sit on top of her and she cleans them, and well she is the "Piggie Mama" lol
I have NEVER had a problem keeping them together, in fact if you look at my thread called "My Bunny Wabbits" there is a pic of her with Huckleberry and Sweetpea, 2 of my smooth coats.

My first rabbit Coco lived with my guinea pig Rusty initially and they were best friends and always cuddled together. it was only when circumstances changed and Coco became a mom we seperated them. In fact even through her pregnancy and at the initial stages of nursing her babies (secretely under the shed) she was really happy with her piggy friend and was looking to get back into the hutch with him.
Coco now lives with several other rabbits and we recently managed to bond Rusty to another little guinea pig but I still remember the old days with fondness when rabbit and piggy cuddled up together.

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
I really think it is the rabbit individually. Like it depends on the rabbit and the piggie if they want to get along. Yes they have different nutritional needs, but those can be met with suplements.
:)

:yeahthat:

There are dangers, yes, but they are remote. Probably more of a concern is if there's a tiff, a thump from the bunny can really hurt the piggy. But honestly, we protect them to the best of our ability, but we also have to consider the quality of life.

You may never let your child out of the house because there's a possibility he'll get hit by a bus or catch the flu. But life locked in a padded room ain't so great, either.

This is one of the House Rabbit 'rules' that has been taken to heart with a little too much exuberance.

Pigs and bunnies can be great friends.

sas :bunnydance:

I agree that they can be great pets, I have kept baby rabbits with guinea pigs, but there is the risk of illness. Guinea pigs are are more sensitive than rabbits when it comes to illness. I was not trying to make you feel bad, just putting it out there that it can and does happen.

My piggy that died from it stopped eating the next day, stopped moving and just looked horrible she lived four days after coming in contact with the rabbits.

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
Many users on here will agree with what I'm about to say....
My French Lop Queeny, lives with 3 Guinea Pigs. Queeny is fat and lazy and lets the piggies sit on top of her and she cleans them, and well she is the "Piggie Mama" lol
I have NEVER had a problem keeping them together, in fact if you look at my thread called "My Bunny Wabbits" there is a pic of her with Huckleberry and Sweetpea, 2 of my smooth coats.

The ''Piggie Mama'' sounds too cute! :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back