Rabbit and food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaS

Reaction score
Do rabbits control how mucht they should eat? We just got a rabbit and I think he started to eat too much.
Also our rabbit is so frightened of everything that he would not come out of his cage, so he does not get any exercise.
Can this be a problem?
I tired taking him out but he got even more scared.
Also how do I clip his nails if he does not come out?
Thank you

AnnaS wrote:
Dorabbits control how mucht they should eat? We just got a rabbit and Ithink he started to eat too much.
Also our rabbit is so frightened of everything that he would not come out of his cage, so he does not get any exercise.
Can this be a problem?
I tired taking him out but he got even more scared.
Also how do I clip his nails if he does not come out?
Thank you
Hello Anna,

you certainly have a dilemma:

Rabbits do not control what they eat, YOU DO! If your rabbit is a Jr.not yet full grown or at Senior weight. I suggest that he/she be kepton Full-feed, food available 24/7 this until the rabbit reaches Seniorweight. then I would feed one ounce of feed per pound of body weight. AFat or pudgy rabbit gets less feed. and more Grasshay. I would providegrasshay at least three times a week if not more often.

All rabbits start out frightened. They are on the lowest rung of thefood-chain and believe it or not, they know it. Use patience,gentleness and a soft voice and your rabbit will come around. [Romewasn't built in a day!]

If the rabbits cage is large enough it is not a requirement that he/shespends time outside. Thjere are things you can do to provide exercise.Place an obstacle between the water and the feed-bowl that the rabbitmust jump over or climb up on and off of to get to each. This willstrenthen the shoulders and hindquarters.

You must handle your rabbit every day, even if it's only fifteenminutes aday. This will get him/her used to being handled.Remember todo everything gently but firmly. The rabbit must be assured that youare in control and no harm will come to him/her while in your care.

You are in control, you are the Alpha! Be that, you must take the bullby the horns. If you are unsure of yourself how can you expect thebunny to place it's faith in you? If you are uncertain perhaps there isa Breeder near you who can help. Get in touch with your Cooperativeextension and ask about any rabbit Clubs in the area. 4h is a greatplace to seek help. I hope this helped.

Dennis,C.V.R. http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/crescentvalley

Thank you for your reply.
If I have to go away for the weekend, is it ok to leave the rabbit more food or does somebody has to come and feed it?

definitly find someone to come feed bunny. do youknow anyone that has rabbits or used to? maybe you could have themcomed over and get introduced to the bunny so that this weekend the'nanny' can keep bunny from being lonely. it would be sad for bunny tobe totally alone for more than a day, especially if they are new pets.

Latest posts

Back