Rabbit Allergies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonangel

Reaction score
My 5 month old Himalayan rabbit has white gooey discharge from his left nostril. We took him to a vet two weeks ago and she prescribed him some medicine for Pasteurella, although she was not sure this is what he had. We took him off the medicine three days ago and I cleaned his cage, yet today his gunk has come back! His eyes and ears are clear and he's energetic like always. Could he have allergies?

Allergies are very rare in rabbits, and they usually lead to clear discharge instead of white. I think he probably needs a longer course of antibiotics. 14 days should be used at minimum. Since the antibiotic helped, it probably is a bacterial infection that just wasn't totally gone.

My 5 month old Himalayan rabbit has white gooey discharge from his left nostril. We took him to a vet two weeks ago and she prescribed him some medicine for Pasteurella, although she was not sure this is what he had. We took him off the medicine three days ago and I cleaned his cage, yet today his gunk has come back! His eyes and ears are clear and he's energetic like always. Could he have allergies?
---prey animals get stressed out easily,and a compromised immune system can cause a serious chain of events,(major-health concerns,)-a nasal culure is a sure way of finding out what bacteria is causing the problem,-(antibiotics) are given which are the least destructive to the gi-tract,-flora--ie baytril,-also-probotics are recommended with any rx,.--and without a nasal culture the rabbit is up against the odds,and being stressed out is not good,--please keep us informed http://www.medirabbit.com -sincerely james waller :bunnynurse::hearts::bunny16

Latest posts

Back