R.I.P. Peter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pla725

Reaction score
I took Pete to the vet around noon because I noticed he was looking very poorly. He was hunched over and looked very tired. Well of course my regular vet wasn't on I felt I couldn't wait until tomorrow. The vet on duty knew nothing about rabbits. Theycouldn't even get a blood sample. I asked for metacam. They wouldn't give it to me.:banghead

Okay I guess I will have to wait tomorrow. Guess again. Half way home I said to myself and to Pete screw this I'll see if Dr. Aumiller can see him right away. They had to check first and called me back. Good thing. Poor Pete had an abcesses in his two front bottom teeth. He is on baytril and metacam and critical care until Friday. He will have an X-ray then.

I was so wrapped up in my own personal issues and Smitten's problem that I failed to notice that Pete was doing poorly. :pullhair:

Oh my - I would want to strangle that Vet. This kind of behavior drives me nuts. It's like when one Vet wanted to put one of my senior dogs down because apparently an abcess that popped up overnight was cancer, and she was going to die within three days... really it was a tooth infection, and after the tooth was removed and she was on meds for it, everything was fine. I am so glad you were able to see the other Vet and get Peter taken care of. I hope he starts to feel much better - poor fella.

and it's O.K. you are getting him taken care of now, that's the main thing.

I'll speak with my regular vet tomorrow and let her deal with this. She also the medical director. I can understand that the other vet isn't that familiar with rabbits but to not have access to information to help in this urgent situation is ridicolus (pardon my grammar and spelling, I'm tired). They missed the slobbering (so did I). I was focused on the GI statis which was the symptom of something else going on. What annoyed me the most was that he was in distress and they wouldn't even give me some metacam. I was close on the dosage amount. The vet tech looked and mefunny when I told her the dosage. Her response was "Oh we don't give cats that much". Whatever. Anyway, I will discuss this with Dr. Snyder. At least I had options. I would even driven an hour to get treatment.

Pete did eat some spinach and hay. That is encouraging. I will give some critical care in a little bit.

pla725 wrote:
I can understand that the other vet isn't that familiar with rabbits but to not have access to information to help in this urgent situation is ridicolus (pardon my grammar and spelling, I'm tired).
First off, I am so sorry you have yet another sick bun.

Secondly, as far as not having a book or something-Exactly! When Angel was sick (thought it was stasis) and I had no choice but to take her to the non-rabbit savvy emergency vet, he at least went by a book, then consulted with her regular vet, which they can do by phone-anytime:?.

I'm glad you'll be seeing the regular one tomorrow. Best of luck with Pete.

Dr. Aumiller called this am to follow up. I missed the call as I was in the shower. I called back and left a message stating he looked a little better and he was eating a little. Still not looking great. He runs everytime I get near his pen. I can't blame him.

I am sorry you had to deal with that doctor. :( Glad your boy got the meds he needed. Hope that he and Smitten feel better soon.

I did tell my vet about what happened yesterday. I'm going to continue his treatment with Dr. Aumiller. I told her that. Matter of fact, I might be switching vets. I'm giving it due consideration.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you don't mind but I put the RIP on the forum title so folks would know as soon as they saw it.

I wish I had words of comfort but I think nothing I could say would replace your rabbit. I am so sorry though for your loss.

Back