quick question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty

Reaction score
i was reading the other thread called dewlap. i didnt want to hijack the thread so i was wondering about male dewlaps. can you tell me anything you know about it? like if its from being slightly obese, or if its genetic, or if it has to do with when you got them neutered? anything at all im just really curious and i did a search on dewlaps in here and i couldnt find anything so im sorry if theres info on here somewhere. i just cant find it. anyways thank you for taking the time to read this ramble.

cheers

That "double chin" is called a dewlap Are you sure your rabbit is a male? Dewlaps are very common in females, though sometimes males have them. Dewlaps are not necessarily a sign of being too fat, and a lack of dewlaps are also not necessarily a sign of being too thin. Females mostly have them because they are a store of extra fat that the female uses during pregnancy and while nursing a litter. In some breeds, especially large breeds, males can get them fairly easily, but in most breeds they are only found in females.

A good way to tell if your rabbit is the proper weight is to feel the spine. Run your hand over the spine, and don't press in on it. If you feel it easily, your rabbit is too thin. Then press in on it a little, and you should feel it this time. If you do not feel it, your rabbit is likely overweight.

I copied this off the net hope it answers some of your questions

thank you.

i went to the vet not too long ago and he said he was perfect weight. also i know he's a male because i checked him whn i first got him and i double checked when i had him neutered and the vet said he was in fact male. so i know that for sure.

hes a mini rex whch you probably guessed from the photo but w/e.

was there a purpose to it for males? i know that its usually for females as extra fat storage for babies and such, but is it just to look sexy on males? lol. (sorry i love his dewlap. i play with it all the time and he gets mad :S)

lol, I would say it's just there to look sexy. Bugz has a little bit of one, but it's not really all that noticable. He's a sexy bun too.

im sure hes definitely hawt! lol. i just think its so cute but i wasnt sure if theres was another purpose to them for males than to just look more distinguished than non-dewlap males lol.

Makes em stand out and be noticed. No, I'm still learning so as far as I know there really isn't a reason, for males to have them. I could be wrong. So don't hold me to it.

Rusty wrote:
im sure hes definitely hawt! lol. i just think its so cute but i wasnt sure if theres was another purpose to them for males than to just look more distinguished than non-dewlap males lol.

No my knowledge, there is not another "purpose" to the moolaps. Just a fatty deposit, I think. Not due to poor diet, just age/weight. They can get them and it's not a health issue.:)

Edited to add: Angel refuses to let me barely touch hers. No way, she gets mad, so I don't.:cool:

im sure she looks appealing with it though. and she probably knows that and shes like " stop being so jealous of my dewlap!!! dont look at it! dont touch it! dont even think of it!" lol

thanks again for the replies guys! i lovefurthering my knowledge of the greatest gift to the world. aka animals. :D

haha. if i catch rusty in front of a mirror then i'll have to give him the talk.

how to pick up sexy ladies:

step 1:...

lol.

One of my bucks has just recently got the beginnings of a dewlap. It's not huge but it's there and I think it is because he is getting a bit overweight. I will have to put him on a diet but I find it so hard when he looks at me with those gorgeous eyes because he longs for the carrots all the other bunnies are getting.

Latest posts

Back