Quick Pellet Brand Advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams1786

Reaction score
Hi all. Very delayed but need to switch my bun to an adult pellet - she's been on alfalfa so far but she hit a year recently. I think I'm going to go with Oxbow since we've had great luck with them so far but was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. I've narrowed it down to the Oxbow Natural Science Adult Food and the Oxbow Bunny Basics "T" Essentials Adult Food but I can't figure out what the difference between those is. I did notice that the Natural Science had a mix of hays and I've never been able to get her to eat anything but Oat, but I wasn't sure what the nutritional difference was. Any tips? She's a 6.5 lb spayed rex, a bit over a year, and very picky. She's on 1/2-3/4 cup daily but I'd like to get her down to 1/4 cup after the switch. Thanks!

Personally, I feed Sherwood forest food - it's all natural, with no added sugars/molasses and a TON less starches and such than any other food out there... which imo makes it the healthiest pellet.

The list of pellets I deem to be high quality is incredibly short... with Oxbow Essentials (aka Bunny Basics "T") coming in second to Sherwood. It's got some added sugars and has more starch/carbs than Sherwood... but for the majority of bunnies, that's honestly not a big deal. Oxbow essentials has an appropriate amount of protein for a house rabbit (12-14% is ideal) and it has an exceptional fiber content - far better than nearly everything else out there. The main turn-off of that food for me is the ingredient listing (as the GA is top-notch) - Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings and Soybean Meal are the 2nd-4th ingredients >.>

your post is the first I've heard of Oxbow Natural Science... I just looked it up. the protein is 12% - again, in the "ideal" range for a house bunny. the fiber is lower than Oxbow Essentials, but only by about 3%... and despite being lower, it's still in the "exceptional" range as far as what's available on the rabbit pellet market. since most of a rabbit's diet (and therefore fiber intake) is hay, the fiber difference is negligible at best. the ingredient listing looks a little less carb-stuffed than Oxbow Essentials. Honestly, I'm inclined to say that Oxbow Natural Science has just bumped Oxbow Essentials down to #3 in my mind.

Not sure if you are aware or not, but when it comes time to switch, it should be done gradually over the course of a week or two. You just mix the old with new pellets using just a small amount of the new to a larger ratio of the old. Gradually you increase the ratio of new to old. This method is easiest on their gut and usually prevents potential pickiness.

Thanks. I hadn't looked into the Sherwood but I'm considering it. Do you know what the difference is between their Adult Rabbit Food and Pet Rabbit Food? Also thanks Blue Eyes - she's picky so definitely prepared to go extra slowly.

I'm a big fan of Oxbow and have fed their essentials to all of my rabbits. I havent personally tried the natural science, but it does seem to be a good quality pellet as well.
I havent fed Sherwood and personally don't care for their recommendation that you feed nothing but their pellet as I feel that grass hays should make up the majority of a pet rabbit's diet.

Latest posts

Back