Quick growth question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Question...when you guys had your buns from very young (before six months of age), did it seem like every time you saw them they'd grown an inch, and their poop had just about doubled in size? That's what it's been like with Bunny the past couple weeks.

When we brought her home, 16 Feb, she was about six inches in length and her poop was about 6mm in diameter. Now she's grown to about eight or nine inches in length, and her poop is about 10mm in diameter. It makes me wonder if my bun is going to be really big, or they just grow this fast. She's about eight weeks old, and seems a bit big for her age. I dunno...maybe it's my inexperience talking.

How big were your buns by comparison? Her mama is only about a foot and a half in length, and her daddy is about two feet, so I don't expect that she'll be HUGE, or anything. But it does make me wonder. Lol...

Ahhh....2 feet is pretty big...can you tell us in lbs.? The general rule of thumb is that by 8 weeks old your bunny is 3/4 of the way grown. I've bred different varieties of lops, dwarfs, jersey woolies, lionheads, mini rex, etc.. and I find this to be fairly accurate. But please don't quote me! Every bunny is different!

Well, I would give weight, but I don't even have a scale for humans. Lol...we're planning on taking her in to see a bunny vet here within a week or so (and will settle the much-disputed topic of gender while we're there), and I'm sure they'll weigh her there. :) Otherwise, if I can find out if a friend has a scale, I'll do the thing of weighing myself holding her, and then weighing myself, and subtracting the difference. :)

I'll bump this post back up when I'm able to do that. Should be within a couple days. :)

That's okay;) Generally rabbits grow rapidly up til 8-9 weeks old and then between 8-9 weeks and 4-5 months it's a slow gradual growth process. One day in a couple of months you'll look and realize how much she/he has grown and you'll try to remember how tiny he/she was when you got her! Don't worry though, she won't grow at the same rate that she has been and you wont have a "Clifford the Big Red Dog" bunny;) (I Love Clifford!)

Oooh, you gonna have a big bunny on your hands - how cute!!!

It always surprises me when I look back at 'baby' photos of the bunnies to see the size difference between then and now.

I love Clifford, too, but I'm not so sure I'm ready for a bunny his size...LOL.

I'm already wondering how small she was, and she's only been home two weeks! Lol...her poop is already twice the size it was when she got here (I admit it, I saved one...LOL...just for comparison, though. :lookaround:whistling)

Everyday when I come home I'm amazed at how much she's grown! :scared: I didn't know bunnies grew this fast!

spitfire wrote:
That's okay;) Generally rabbits grow rapidly up til 8-9 weeks old and then between 8-9 weeks and 4-5 months it's a slow gradual growth process. One day in a couple of months you'll look and realize how much she/he has grown and you'll try to remember how tiny he/she was when you got her! Don't worry though, she won't grow at the same rate that she has been and you wont have a "Clifford the Big Red Dog" bunny;) (I Love Clifford!)

LOL!! I read my note and your response (below) to my husband, and he said, "That's my wife for you." Lol...heehee...

spitfire wrote:
That is just so cute and too funny that you actually measured a poop and saved it. lol. Ahhaaa:):)

Yep, Bunny is my first. I feel like I've dominated the forum with all the questions I have about her, too. :?

I've had lots of cats before, and at one time had three gerbils (triplet brothers), but never a cute little bun! :) She's so much fun!!

spitfire wrote:
Is this your first bunny?

Bunnies are cute:)
I have always had pets. Lots of 'em! Everything you can think of - from horses to pet rats. I used to raise rats, mice, gerbils and several different varieties of hamsters and I did parakeets, cockatiels and lovebirds. Now it's just the bunnies. I enjoy them;)

maherwoman wrote:
Yep, Bunny is my first. I feel like I've dominated the forum with all the questions I have about her, too. :?
LOL! It's better to ask many questions and be informed then it is to ask none and make a mistake :)

If you have time, try reading through a bunch of the old threads in this forum. I'm on page 10 or so right now, and I've learned a lot of things!

I've had mostly cats, over 20 of them in all. :) We had cockatiels when I was little (so funny that they automatically put stars there in cockatiel...lol), and a couple of schnowzers (excuse the spelling...lol). Having a bunny is such a fun experience! :)

spitfire wrote:
Bunnies are cute:)
I have always had pets. Lots of 'em! Everything you can think of - from horses to pet rats. I used to raise rats, mice, gerbils and several different varieties of hamsters and I did parakeets, ****atiels and lovebirds. Now it's just the bunnies. I enjoy them;)

Here's my litter from kit to adult--perhaps that will help you get a perspective of growth. These are Palominos, and mature at 8-11 lbs.

Days old:

Pict0008.jpg

2-3 wks:

baby2-3wks.jpg

4 wks:

6488e68c.jpg

8 wks:

Bubby6-8wks.jpg

Adult:

d3584a51.jpg

Babyhood goes so fast!!:?

Rose

Wow, rabbitgirl...Is your bunny considered to be a large breed? At eight weeks, he's about the size I was told my Bunny will be full-grown! Ok, I guess she won't be too large, then.

Thanks for giving me a good comparison to judge her growth by. It helped a lot! :D

maherwoman wrote:
Wow, rabbitgirl...Is your bunny considered to be a large breed? At eight weeks, he's about the size I was told my Bunny will be full-grown! Ok, I guess she won't be too large, then.

Thanks for giving me a good comparison to judge her growth by. It helped a lot! :D

Oh, good, glad that helped. Yes, Bub is considered a large breed, and they do mature quickly--but it sureis weirdto see them double in size from four weeks to eight!:shock:I'm guessing that Bub weighed roughly five to six lbs. at eight weeks, but I never weighed him at that time. He's around 9 lbs. now, and not fat either. Pals tend to be compact, muscular, and HEAVY!

Rose

The funny thing I noticed about your pics is that your bun looked to be about my bun's size now, when yours was four weeks! :D

rabbitgirl wrote:
maherwoman wrote:

Oh, good, glad that helped. Yes, Bub is considered a large breed, and they do mature quickly--but it sureis weirdto see them double in size from four weeks to eight!:shock:I'm guessing that Bub weighed roughly five to six lbs. at eight weeks, but I never weighed him at that time. He's around 9 lbs. now, and not fat either. Pals tend to be compact, muscular, and HEAVY!

Rose

Latest posts

Back