Quick breathing, some shakes and sneezes. Help please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarymary

Reaction score
I have a 2 y/o male that is breathing very quick and sneezing. This all started about an hour ago.
Some details: Today I cleaned his cage with bleach (don't normally use that) and rinsed it very well! It started to sprinkle as I finished up so I took him in. 3 hours late he started sneezing and breathing quick.
He's running around my room right now since I'm worried about the cage, no sneezing, but still breathing very quickly.
I'm very worried it was the bleach, but removing him from the cage hasn't helped! Any advice?

Edit: just started sneezing outside the cage, not sure what the problem could be. :sigh:

Did you use the bleach full strength or diluted? A 10% solution is all that's needed to disinfect a cage but it needs to be washed off well and allowed to sit in the sun to dry.

keep him away from the cage for a little while and see if he gets better. If its the cage he will. If its not getting better then take him to the vet. he might have just inhaled some of the fumes.

I diluted the bleach myself, it was about 20%. I hope I didn't make it too strong! Since it started to sprinkle I had to dry his cage with a towel. I used the same shavings, now that I think about it they were the bottom of the bag, possibly a little dusty.
He isn't around the cage anymore, I hope it's not an allergic reaction.

Was your rabbit anywhere near the cage and chlorine fumes while you cleaned?

We were both outside, he was in his run across the yard. The only thing I can think of is I didn't think to wash my hands with soap before handling him, I just rinsed them along with the cage.

If it were me, just to be safe, I'd wait til tomorrow to put him back in the cage.

That sounds like my best bet. I'll have to bunny proof my office for him! This is the 2nd hour and he's kind of coughing/sneezing now.

Just wondering because sometimes when the chlorine combines with enough of the rabbits urine, because there is ammonia in it, it can create chlorine gas. Even though it is only a small amount, because rabbits have very sensitive respiratory systems, if they are around it then it can damage their respiratory system, or worse.

Latest posts

Back