Questions on euthanasia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just returned from talking to the vet again and picking up a few more doses of pain meds.(which have escalated from $3.50 a dose to $13.50 a dose needed 2x per day...wow) We wanted to make the appointment for Friday evening, He will not allow us to be with Zoey when she is euthanized with the gas. This really bothers us as we want to be with her. I don't understand why.

I called another vet I had used for my cat and he said no problem with us being with her with the same type of euthanasia. He will examine her first so it will be second opinion as well. We have made the appointment for Friday evening. I hate this.

I am glad to hear you are going elsewhere, even just for the ability to hold onto your bun when you say good bye. Like I said there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do that.

In regards to your question about "inhaled euthanasia"... Its not inhaled euthanasia, and if the vet was making you think it was, all the better reason to go elsewhere. What they do is they use a gas to put the animal to sleep, alive but still asleep. This is the exact same thing they would do if the animal was going in for surgery. Because the animal is asleep and not moving this allows the vet to make an injection of euthanyl (or whatever drug is used) directly into the heart. Vets rarely allow clients to be present when they do it this way. I like to say its a very lazy way of doing it too. No reason he cant give the rabbit a sedative so he can hit the vein easier with you by your bunny.

Watermelons, while that method may be common, there are other ways to euthanize via inhalation which are listed in the AVMA guidelines I posted above. I don't know what technique this particular veterinarian is planning to use. In some animals who are that ill, it becomes incredibly difficult to hit a vein and if circulation is poor, that technique may not be successful.
Your vet should be able to explain to you his or her reasoning for any technique or drug that is used. If they are unwilling or unable to do so, go elsewhere.

I personally prefer when the owner stays with the pet during a euthanasia. I've seen too many of the classic "we got a new puppy and we're tired of the old dog so we dropped it off to be euthanized and went home to play with the puppy" sort of euthanasias. In those situations, at the clinic where I worked, we always made sure that one of us was with the pet holding it and petting it and making sure that it knew that someone cared in its last moments.

I suspect that your vet may not have the ability to bring the sedative gas into an exam room (which is typically where euthanasias are performed with the owner present) and may not be comfortable bringing an owner into the back of the hospital (it can be a liability issue).

With regards to having children in the room, some animals will vocalize, urinate and defecate, and have muscle tremors following euthanasia. This can be very confusing and distressing for many children (and adults) and I think it's important that all parties in the room at the time are prepared ahead of time for what may happen when the animal is euthanized.

Like I mentioned above, talk to your vet about why they've chosen their technique and if it's important to you to be with your pet, you should be able to make that happen.

It's true that they don't always just go to sleep. We had to have my daughter's guinea pig euthanized and opted to be in the waiting room. While waiting, we heard a high pitched squeal that I knew was from our gp. I will never forget that...my daughter was crying...I knew the drug itself didn't cause this, but the pain from the injection. I just wasn't prepared for it, nor my young daughter. I definitely think that putting small animals to sleep before euthanizing is best.

Zoey seems to be more chipper yesterday and today. She has eaten her greens, carrots and granola and hasn't been sulking as much. She has been more active and is craving to be pet. However her tummy is so large. Our appt is for 7 pm Friday evening. We are going to have the 2nd vet examine her first and get his opinion on her condition.

The first vet felt we should have euthanized her last Friday evening but both my daughter and I feel that was too soon. We are questioning the decision for tomorrow in light of how she is feeling so we are going to keep monitoring her condition and get the second opinion tomorrow evening. Guess we are hoping we may be able to hold onto some more time with her. Only tomorrow will tell....

I'm glad you're getting some time to say goodbye... and that she's able to enjoy it too! you never know, there's a small chance the second vet can do something for her :)

I'm the last one to give advice on euthanasia as I will keep mine going as long as possible. Coal was almost 14 and she'd been slowing down like your bunny. I took her in a couple of months ago but probably should have done it 5 months ago but I couldn't bear to part with her and really wanted to let her pass at home. She got so bad, that even with all my help I knew it was past time. Still makes me cry even though I know it was the right thing to do. May the gods be with you.

Glad to hear your girl is doing well today. No vet can tell you when the time is right, because they don't know your bunny like you do. It may look sad and mopey when it comes in and they see it but you know how your bunny normally acts and how it really is. There is no reason to put a bunny down because the vet says you should unless you are 100% sure it is time because of how you see the bunny acting/feeling. Unless and until you feel its time, don't feel like you need to rush into it. I had a week of extra time with my one bunny after my vet had recommended putting her to sleep-and, some of those memories that last week are ammong my most precious memories of that bunny. I think you'll know on your own when it's time to say goodbye-no one can tell you that. Praying all goes well and she's keep going on well for a while so you can have more good times with her.

I am sorry for not posting sooner but we have been so swamped here at home. So here is our update on Zoey. We took Zoey to the second vet on 12/22 for a second opinion before we would euthanize her. After his examination he agreed she did have an abdominal mass but was not a candidate for surgery due to various factors and that surgery would be very high risk with her with a poor chance of survival. Zoey was having a field day in his office chewing his papers and hopping all over all acting very chipper. He recommended we take her home with pain meds to be given as needed and when her bad days outnumbered her good days to bring her back in. He also recommended Oxbow to help with her weight loss and to give her whatever she wants to eat.

So we took Zoey home and have had a wonderful 3 more weeks with her. She hated the Oxbow so that did not help but has been lovingly spoiled rotten with affection and any treats she could desire.

Within the last week we noticed more of a weight loss with Zoey and an increase in the size of her tummy from the fluid retention. We also noticed in the last few days that when she reached to each a crunchy treat her eyes seemed to bulge out to the point it was kind of scarey. (We were told it was an affect of the pressure on a nerve from the tumor/fluid retention) but yet she still happily munched and hopped around.

This past Sunday, Zoey was not having a good day and received pain meds 2 xs which seemed to help her (we have had off days before). Monday she was better in the AM but by PM did not feel comfortable so we gave her pain meds again. My daughter washed her bum to remove the soft feces that has plagued her and called me in. She said something was not right. Zoey wasn't acting right and had squeeked when she touched her tummy. It was now after 8pm and I asked my son to look up the # for an emergency vet. In the 1 minute it took him to do this Zoey became very weak and passed away in my daughters arms as she told her how much she loved her and that she was her best friend.

Zoey waited to be with the person she loved the most and who loved her. She passed very quickly and peacefully.

This is so heartbreaking. Zoey was loved so much. Rest in peace little Zoe.

I´ve just come upon this and read through and although it breaks my heart, how wonderful that Zoey was able to pass while held by your daughter, seems like she knew and waited. Knowing your bunny, you had three more wonderful weeks with her and she went surrounded by the people who have love her unconditionally. Everyone was right, you knew her better than anyone and you did exactly the right thing. Although infinitely sad to see that she´s gone, I know that she´s happily binkying over on the other side of that bridge. :rainbow:

I'm sorry you lost your Zoey, but I'm glad you were able to work with your vet on pallative care for her to ease her transition.

I am so sorry that you lost Zoey. When I lost Prince, I was able to get him to the vet but he passed at the vet office. Before taking him to the vet, I told Sweetie that he may not be coming back home with me. Luckily my mom's best friend was off the day Prince died. She took me to the vet with Prince. I kept telling Prince that I loved him and to try to make it to the vet. He made it to the vet, as soon as I walked in the door, my vet took Prince and rushed him to the back and gave him oxygen. The vet said that Prince's sugar was low, so he gave him some corn syrup. Did everything possible, but Prince passed away when the vet got the catheter in. Sweetie and Prince were bonded, she didn't get to say goodbye to him, but I did leave her alone in the carrier that he was in and let her do her thing for a while. To this day, I still spend time with her every night before I go to bed. She is doing amazingly well for losing a bondmate. The only thing is that she worries that she will lose me. Oh she did get sick right after Prince passed away. But I got her through the grieving process though.

Back