Questions from a fairly new bunny mom...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlilly0212

Reaction score
Ok.

1. While browsing through the posts, I have heard several times that rabbits shouldn't be feed alfalfa-based pellets... Are they really not good for bunnies? If not, what kind of pellets should I be feeding Bailey? (Right now he is getting Kaytee daily pellets and I think they have been referred to as "Kaytee-crap" by some members... :O.)

2. Sometimes Bailey's pee turns colors. I am feeding him all good fruits and veggies- mostly swiss chard, spinach, clover, and kale, with some occasional bites of carrot, apple, banana, broccoli and cantelope. I read that it could just be due to some pigments in plants (red-ish pee *not bloody*) and the white pee is due to too much calcium. This only happens once every so often that he gets white pee.... It is not a sign of kidney stones unless his pee is white all the time, right? (And the other "colors" are mostly red.) Just thought I would check.

3. Does anyone live in FL? I go to Eckerd College, which is right near St. Petersburg, and I was wondering what naturally-growing grasses/plants are ok. I know the plants in RI that are ok, but I now have Bailey down here with me, and the ground cover in FL is different. I know clover is ok, but are there any other local plants bunnies enjoy? Any local ones to definitely stay clear of?

THANKS a million for putting up with my new mom questions... :)

waterlilly and BAILEY!

okay, i can respond to 1 and 2. . . since i don't live near you i can't comment on number 3

1)timothy based pellets are the best. if kaytee is sold around you they have a product called timothy complete

http://www.petco.com/product/14643/Kaytee-Timothy-Complete-Rabbit-Food.aspx

or, even better, if you can find (and afford, as it is a little pricier) oxbow, it is the BEST food out there

http://www.oxbowhay.com/Shop/showProduct.sp?PRODUCT_NO=44

now, honestly i feed an alfalfa based pellet currently, as with 3 bunnies buying timothy complete is a little expensive, and i can't really find oxbow up here. i feed purina rabbit chow, and my buns don't seem to have a problem with it.

2) different coloured urine is natural. as far as the whitish urine, it is due to calcium. if you notice that baily's urine is constantly sludgy, then i would work on cutting out calcium rich foods (like alfalfa hay and alfalfa based pellets, and certain veggies). if you notice a major change in litter box habbits, straining to pee, or other odd bladder behaviour i would suggest a trip to the vet to be safe

hope this helps!

waterlilly0212 wrote:
1. While browsing through the posts, I have heard several times that rabbits shouldn't be feed alfalfa-based pellets... Are they really not good for bunnies? If not, what kind of pellets should I be feeding Bailey? (Right now he is getting Kaytee daily pellets and I think they have been referred to as "Kaytee-crap" by some members... :O.)
It's not that alfalfa pellets are bad, but they have more calories than timothy-based pellets. Timothy-based pellets are more appropriate for adult rabbits, who are full size (no longer growing, therefore don't need the added calories).

Everything I know about pellets, I learned fromthis packet:
http://www.petinfopackets.com/rabbits/rabbitinfopacket.html#pellets

Just wanted to say I'm so glad there is another new bun mom on the sight - and I think the only bad thing you could do is NOT ask enough questions!

Bailey is really cute too!

Latest posts

Back