questions for mini rex breeders!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
Okay, I wasn't sure exactly where to post these questions but figured the breeder board would be good. These questions are for mini rex breeders! I got a pair of 6 week old mini rexes yesterday, a boy and a girl. They live in a cage together. I plan to neuter the boy as soon as his testicles descend and then spay the girl when she's old enough, then have them live together after a 4 week period in which the male can recover and stop sperm production. At what age should I separate the two rabbits? I plan to check for testicles on the boy every day but don't want to assume that he's too young to produce sperm before then. At what age do boy mini rexes' testicles usually descend? Also, at what age can a girl mini rex get pregnant?

Thanks so much :D

I'd separate them for 8 weeks...just to be sure (based on what others have told me).

The bucks are capable of inpregnating a doe around 3 months old and the does could get pregnant at that age if they are on the larger side. I would separate them at no later than 10 weeks, 8 weeks is preferable.

Thanks for the input, you two! A couple more questions:

1) If we separate the babies and then get Maximus neutered as soon as his testicles drop, do we still need to worry about him retaining sperm for 4 weeks or would it be safe to re-introduce him to Sister after 2 weeks or so?

2) Can rabbits breed through bars? We're thinking of dividing the cage into 2 halves with NIC panels so they can still see and smell each other and touch noses but I don't know if they could contort themselves to mate. If that's a concern, I'll use 2 barriers set an inch or so apart.

Thanks!

I'd say you'd be safe to go until 10 weeks, but if you CAN separate them earlier then 8 weeks is good too.

In answer to your other question, yes, I believe they should stay separated for 4 weeks following the surgery just to be 100% foolproof. I was always told 6 weeks but that seems like too long to me.

Breeding through bars...some little prison babies! No, I really don't think it's possible but then again, rabbits have ways of totally surprising you sometimes...! I never rule out anything any more!

Cute babies, saw the pics yesterday. :)

Latest posts

Back