questions about the hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i read from the house rabbit handbook that bunny between 7weeks to 7 months should be given unlimited hay.so did the"hay" refer to alfalfa hay or grass hay like timothy?if it refers to alfalfa,so when can i begin to give my bunny timothy?i will appreciate any help or advice :bouquet:

Rabbits in that age bracket can have alfalfa hay as a large part of their diet. I would give both timothy and alfalfa hay so they get used to both and it makes the transition to just timothy or other grass hay easier.

Rabbits in that age bracket can have alfalfa hay as a large part of their diet. I would give both timothy and alfalfa hay so they get used to both and it makes the transition to just timothy or other grass hay easier.
thank you very much this really helps me a lot:highfive:

i read from the house rabbit handbook that bunny between 7weeks to 7 months should be given unlimited hay.so did the"hay" refer to alfalfa hay or grass hay like timothy?

Bunnies of any age should have unlimited hay as a large part of their diet. "Hay" really means any sort of cut and dried plants which are used for animal feed.

Most hays which are sold for feeding pets are made from a kind of grass - timothy, orchard grass, meadow grass, brome, oat hay, etc. Adult bunnies (older than six to nine months, roughly) should get grass hay. Which kind or kinds you provide depends on the tastes of the individual rabbit. My first rabbit, Scone MacBunny, loved orchard grass hay and would not touch timothy hay at all. My current bunny, Natasha Rabbitova, loves timothy and will not eat orchard grass (her favorite is organic meadow hay, at least at the moment). It is probably best to offer several kinds of hay, as rabbits in the wild are selective grazers and like to pick and choose.

Alfalfa is a legume, like peas or beans. Alfalfa hay is high in some things which are good for growing kits, but excessive for adult buns. Therefore, alfalfa should be fed to younger rabbits (less than six to nine months), and then switch gradually over to grass hay.

Alfalfa up to six months for the small breed and up to a year for the Giants. I'm allergic to Timothy so we use orchard grass. Our Checkered Giant didn't reach full size til almost a year old--we were starting to wonder.

At any age rabbits should ALWAYS have unlimited hay I feed mine timothy hay from the day they are born to the day they die or get sold. Alfalfa can be fed up to the age of 6 months then they should be switch over to orchard grass, or timothy hay or something else.

Latest posts

Back