Questions about adding a new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarveyAndSam

Reaction score
I'm not planning to get another bunny any time soon. But......

I've heard that with bonded bunnies, they can really mourn when they lose their pal. I've also heard that some may actually give up when their pal has passed.

I also have ratties...and I've seen them mourn the loss of their friends. It's just so horribly sad. And I have my rats in groups, so they have other friends when they lose one.

Sam and Harvey are VERY bonded. I also know that Harveydoesn't take too kindly to other bunnies inhis vicinity. I found this out after my neighbor brought her bunny over for a visit. We did not put the bunns together. But she did have Peter in the same room...and Harvey went nuts. He actually got so worked up, that he started picking on poor Sam. We had to separate him for fear he would hurt her. Once he calmed down, he had to work very hard to get Sam to forgive him. I was just amazed how they interacted. He groomed and kissed her for quite a while...and I could see she had this "and you better be sorry" look on her face.

ANYWAY, I just dread the day that one or the other passes (they are only about 4 years old now)...and wondered if getting a third bunny at some point, might be a good idea...just in case.

Knowing how Harvey is towards others......would this be a stupid idea? If I were to get a third bunny, what would be best? Another female? a youngster? My assumption is, Harvey would have an issue no matter what...but I don't know that for sure. I do think if Harvey were the first to pass away, Sam wouldn't be able to function. She is very skittery and he's her rock. I know, I'm probably worrying about this much too soon and I sound paranoid. But geez, you should see how I ponder all this with my ratties too. ;)

Sorry for the long post, and hope Iposted this one in the right section. ;)

Oh, it's nice that you are thinking of their mentality first. But, it is hard to say how one will handle another. One of your bonded ones may be fine with the new one straight away and the other may be upset. It is truly hard to say. You could do some dates at a shelter with one you might be considering and see how it goes. Most shelters will allow you to do this, some won't. You could call a few and see who will allow it and who won't and go from there;).

As far as a bonded pair losing it's partner, normally, it is hard on the one alone. They do go through a grieving process, the times vary from what I have heard. Some come around sooner than others.:(

I'm sure more folks will be along to tell their ideas and experiences soon.

I've heard that with bonded bunnies, they can really mourn when they lose their pal. I've also heard that some may actually give up when their pal has passed.
I know that when Bud died Teacup was devistated!! She got all sad a sluggish, but luckly Kali was there so she had a bunny friend who she could comun with!
I also have ratties...and I've seen them mourn the loss of their friends. It's just so horribly sad. And I have my rats in groups, so they have other friends when they lose one.
That's sweet!! Knowing that really care about one anouther. I think rabbits handle death about the same way.
Sam and Harvey are VERY bonded. I also know that Harveydoesn't take too kindly to other bunnies inhis vicinity. I found this out after my neighbor brought her bunny over for a visit. We did not put the bunns together. But she did have Peter in the same room...and Harvey went nuts. He actually got so worked up, that he started picking on poor Sam. We had to separate him for fear he would hurt her. Once he calmed down, he had to work very hard to get Sam to forgive him. I was just amazed how they interacted. He groomed and kissed her for quite a while...and I could see she had this "and you better be sorry" look on her face.
he he he that's cute!
ANYWAY, I just dread the day that one or the other passes (they are only about 4 years old now)...and wondered if getting a third bunny at some point, might be a good idea...just in case.
Hmmmmmm it might be a good idea. I think you should look on petfinder to see if you can find a bun that seems perfect, and then set up a bunny date!
Knowing how Harvey is towards others......would this be a stupid idea? If I were to get a third bunny, what would be best? Another female? a youngster? My assumption is, Harvey would have an issue no matter what...but I don't know that for sure. I do think if Harvey were the first to pass away, Sam wouldn't be able to function. She is very skittery and he's her rock. I know, I'm probably worrying about this much too soon and I sound paranoid. But geez, you should see how I ponder all this with my ratties too. ;)
I think that a young (not baby, like mabey 1-2 year old) spayed female would be the right one for your buns. But like I said up above look for a bun you like, and set up a bunny date. And see how it goes.

Hope I was some help,

-TK

Back