Question regarding Spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
We're planning on getting Abby spayed soon and Iwas wondering if I should take special precautions for her healingtime. I haven't had an animal spayed in years (have had two males donesince then, but my female cat had a hard time of it after she wasspayed, but this was about ten years ago.)

Anyway, she shares a cage with Chompers, one with a low shelf for themto jump up, which they do a lot. Should I keep her in her own cage fora few days, the one with no shelf? I just remember my cat (yes, I knowcats are different than rabbits but being cut into is being cut into)pulled at her stitches and it got infected.

I'm just a bit worried I guess. I know how sensitive rabbits are andwant no problems. Thankfully, I will be there with her all day so willbe able to keep a very close eye on her.

Any suggestions? Also, if any of you are in the Ottawa, ON area, do you know of a good vet?

I like to give the rabbit a little Nutri-Cal andparsley the night before surgery and also post-op. Helps thembounce back faster. Do not fast your rabbit before surgery.

Pam

Thanks, I didn't know about the Parsley. She loves it too. I won't fast her either.

What about recovery? Anything special I should do?

The vet will give you any special instructions.If Chompers is her bonded friend than they should be fine together. Myrabbits (also bonded) stayed together after surgery. Just try to keepher comfortable and try not to encourage a lot of jumping. She'll knowwhat hurts and what's comfortable. You should also check the sutureseveryday, just to make sure they look OK.

They might tell you that she's no longer medicated and should be finewhen you pick her up. Since you know her, you might notice her behavinglathargic or cranky. She might not even want to eat much, but try togive her some hay or greens at least. She'll be back to her sweet selfin no time.

Back