Question on Storing Sub-Qs...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
How should lactated rings solution (the sub-q bag) be stored: Should itbe refrigerated once it's brought home, after the bag's first been penetrated with a needle, ordoes itnever need to be refrigerated?

Thank you,

Jenk

A bag that has been pierced can be refrigerated but there is nothing in the solution that discourages bacterial growth.

A bag should not be used longer than 10 days before it is discarded and a new bag used.

I have not given regular SQ's to my rabbits but I did it to my dog when she was in renal failure and also to a cat I was pet-sitting in Chicago years ago
I am not sure that everyone knows this about IV bags and I believe that many people use the bag too long.

if the bag ever should appear cloudy it should be discarded as this is a sign of contamination.

but I would think refrigeration would be preferable as long as you warmed up the contents before administering it.

Now I'm a bit confused; you'll see why....

angieluv wrote:
A bag that has been pierced can be refrigerated but there is nothing in the solution that discourages bacterial growth.
A bag should not be used longer than 10 days before it is discarded and a new bag used....
I believe that many people use the bag too long.
I was previously told by a vet that a bag could be kept for two months' in the fridge. In fact, the bag currently in my fridge is about four months' old. (No, I've not used it since Jan. Don't fret! ;)) But I've just purchased a new bag to have on hand.

Are you saying that the new bag--whether pierced by a needle or not--will only be "good" forthe next 10 days'??? :(

That 's the info I was given by my vet when I was using them on my dog. I also read this on-line... you can ask your vet about it.

like I said this is technically correct but probably not practiced
An unopened bag probably has an expiration date on it but would be good for an unlimited amount of time.

this solution contains electrolytes. if the electrolytes in pedialytedissipateafter 24 hrs once opened why should this be a surprise.?

In a human being the solution in a bag would be discarded after 1 use.

A new needle should also replace the old as it can contaminate the whole bag... probably often times not practiced

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_fluids.aspx

this site on dogs even shortens the life of the bag even more

angieluv wrote:
An unopened bag probably has an expiration date on it but would be good for an unlimited amount of time.

Just to be clear: What do you mean by an "unopened" bag? I never open the bag at the top; I just draw out the fluid from the other opening (which I swab with alcohol each time before piercing it).

Thanks, btw, for all the info. that you provide; I very much appreciate it. :D

if I was just withdrawing fluid from the bag and using alcoholto clean before inserting the needle I probably would use the bag longer also..particularly if irefrigerated andI used a sterile needle very time
I was actually thinking more along the lines of running a line and hanging the bag likeI did with the dog and cat

My vet has told me to only keep the bag a couple weeks after I have pierced it to use it. I leave mine pierced the whole time and just change the needles. Mine is like an IV, it has tubing that stays on the bag. I don't know if yours is like that or if you draw the fluid into a syringe.

If you are using yours with the IV tubing I would only keep it about 10 days like angieluv said. If you are using a syringe I am not sure.

I hope that makes sense. I wasn't sure by your post how you were using yours but thought I would throw in what my vet said for the way my bag is used.

Amy27 wrote:
If you are using yours with the IV tubing I would only keep it about 10 days like angieluv said. If you are using a syringe I am not sure.
I draw fluid directly into the syringe using an 18-ga. needle. Then I attach a butterfly catheter (21-ga.) to administer the fluids.

Amy27 wrote:
My vet has told me to only keep the bag a couple weeks after I have pierced it to use it. I leave mine pierced the whole time and just change the needles. Mine is like an IV, it has tubing that stays on the bag. I don't know if yours is like that or if you draw the fluid into a syringe.

I hope that makes sense. I wasn't sure by your post how you were using yours but thought I would throw in what my vet said for the way my bag is used.
Amy' set-up is what I used also..
Jenk
if you are using butterflies just make sure that you use a sterile new one each time.
I would be less concerned about drawing fluids from a refrigerated bag than I would with the IV bag and tubing arrangement that Amy and I have used

Oh ok, thanks for clarifing. I thought it sounded like you used yours differently but I wasn't sure. That is awesome though that you can keep yours longer using it that way. I hate throwing away a half a bag of lactated ringer. I am just curious because I like the way you do yours and that you can keep your bag longer. How much fluid do you draw up into your syringe?

A bag hanging in a room at room temperature with tubing seems like is it more apt to get contaminated thana refrigerated bag that was pierced( after swabbing with alcohol) daily with a clean needle .

technically once the bag is pierced bacteria can get in.

Amy..
when (Little bunny) had the crackling all over her the concern was that bacteria had been introduced with the sub q fluids. This would be a medical disaster.
Always make sure the fluid in the bag is clear ; if it gets cloudy toss it.

and always remember that the skin is the first line of defense

anything going into or under the skin has to be kept sterile to prevent bacteria from getting into the body.

Amy27 wrote:
...I like the way you do yours and that you can keep your bag longer. How much fluid do you draw up into your syringe?

The amount that I draw up depends upon the rabbit I'm dosing. My 3.5- and 4.5-lb. buns get 30 cc's at one time; my nearly 8.5-lb. guy gets 60 cc's at once.

My vet told me that I could re-use the needle that stick into the bag about 2-3 times, as long as I swab the bag before each piercing and store the needle back in its sterile container. Not sure if that's a bad idea, but it's what I've done in the past.

I do use a new butterfly catheter for each sub-Q administration, though.

Back