Question on color genes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishRabbitmama

Reaction score
So my buck carries blue and chocolate but is a black. We're getting a doe tomorrow haven't seen her ped but the breeder is a perfectionist so I'm looking forward to a beautiful doe. If the mom carries blue and chocolate what colors would most likely pop out. I know black is dominant so they would have black but with blue and chocolate also what do you think could come out.
Sorry science was never my favorite thing. Haven't bred just curious.

If both parents are black then chances are you'll only get black. You'd need one parent to either be blue or chocolate to get those colors and even then you would probably get some black, too. I just bred a black doe to a chocolate buck and got 2 blacks and 1 chocolate.

thos darn blacks will get ya. lol. but i just had a litter of 7 french lops. mom is black and dad is broken chestnut. and i ended up with 2 black, 2 chestnuts, and 3 broken chestnuts.

If they both carry the dilute gene and both carry chocolate you would, in theory, be able to get black, blue, chocolate and lilac from them. I think it works out as 75% chance they'd be showing the black and 25% showing chocolate, and that would then go the same way for the dilution gene. That theoretically gives you 50% chance of blacks, 16.7% chance of chocolates, 25% chance of blues and 8.3% chance of lilacs, if my math is correct. Of course, those are the statistics, and apply to each individual animal, so if you got 12 kits it wouldn't actually break down as 6, 2, 3 and 1 respectively. There's still the element of chance as to which set of genes they get.

Good luck with getting anything other than black, especially if only one parent carries dilute. I have yet to get anything other than black when breeding two blacks. The litter I just had (and mentioned above) actually turned out to be 3 blacks and one chocolate. The black doe actually has mostly choc on her mother's side, so that's why I got a chocolate. The other black doe that I bred to the same choc buck has mainly black in her pedigree and she had 3 black kits today. I'm so tired of black!

I figured they would mostly be black. His parents were black and the blue is in the grandparents. I guess we'd have to wait to see if we breed.

Was going to post the pedigree so you could see @majorv. But it's in a personal file from evans software.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back