Question, Is my bunny trying to bond with me or...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy

Reaction score
I read the bonding page and I although helpful, I am still having trouble with my babies behavior. Her mother decided that 5 babies were too many and the 2 largest had to go, They are outside bunnies and the mother wouldn't let them in the hutch, eat or drink, she kept attacking them, so 2 of the four week old babies moved in my house. I bring them out and hold the mother down so they can nurse, I am not sure if it is absolutely necessary with as much hay, pellets, green and treats they eat, or water they drink, but I have been doing it anyways. One of the bunnies, Chloe, that is living inside, is staying with us and is going to be a house rabbit.

Anyways, all day today she has been nudging me and licking me. When I lay on the couch she refuses to be anywhere except on my chest. when I ignore her she digs at my chest until I start petting her again. When I stop she hops quickly around in circles and proceeds to liking my face, a lot, she wont stop. If I move her, or turn her around, she licks my hand.

Is this bonding? Territory marking? Or has she just replaced her real mom with me and is looking for milk? Some other behavior???

????

I would say that you are now her new 'mommy' :) She is problably missing mom and looking to you to feel safe and comforted. I think you halping her to keep nursing is actually good. I think that at that age, even though they're eating, they still need the immune support they get from mom's milk.

I figured as much Baloo was suppose to be heading to the vets for the old snip snip on Tuesday and due to hurricane Sandy passing through, I am forced to reschedule to be on the safe side. Don't want power outages during surgery. Cadbury does not want to be a mommy at all,and Baloo was suppose to be female.

I didn't finish my post lol, Anyways, I was figuring that I was now mommy. There won't be anymore baby bunbun here. I love love love the little hoppers but well, it wasn't what I had intended for and with Cadbury's obvious dislike for motherhood I see no reason to make her bring more babies into the world that it does not need and she does not want.

That is a good idea. You do not need to breed her. But it sounds like you found yourself a very small love. I think that this is going to be crucial for her when she grows up. She may still continue to see you as her mama.

I see you mentioned giving the little ones greens & treats. They really should have little or none of either until their digestive systems develop better. Diarrhea often can result.

Best wishes for the weather there.

sugarbunnies wrote:
That is a good idea. You do not need to breed her. But it sounds like you found yourself a very small love. I think that this is going to be crucial for her when she grows up. She may still continue to see you as her mama.

Cadbury is going in to get spayed as well. Obviously not until her babies are gone. They will be 4 weeks on Tuesday. I had no intention of having any babies. She had her first litter about a month after we got baloo, I didn't realize that rabbits only carried babies for a month. I just assumed she was pregnant when I got her. Then She had more babies so upon further investigation, I realized that baloo was indeed the daddy.

What do you mean I will always be momma .... :)

LakeCondo wrote:
I see you mentioned giving the little ones greens & treats. They really should have little or none of either until their digestive systems develop better. Diarrhea often can result.

Best wishes for the weather there.
:yeahthat: it's best to wait until at least 12 weeks for greens/treats. you should definitely keep forcing the mom to nurse them until they're 6-8 weeks old.

No greens or treats? Clearly I was not meant to raise baby bunnies, yet another reason to have both(and eventually all three) fixed. Ugh, all the babies have been eatting treats and greens since the first time they traveled out of the nest. No sign of diarrhea yet, but I will take your advice and hold off on any further treats.

Occasionally getting greens from the start isn't a problem, especially if they're the same greens the mom gets. And if the poops look ok, it's obviously been ok for them.

Latest posts

Back