Question for Bunny Guru

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
plan to build Sebastian a new box for the cagethat he spends any outdoor time in. You know, the box partthat he sleeps in or goes in if he gets cold and such. Sincepine shavings are bad for them, (or cedar, whicherver it is) doesthatmean pine woodis too? What woodshould his box be built from? His current cage is framed with2X4's....is that a problem?

Raspberry

Kiln dried pine shavings are fine. Thebox can be stuffed with hay or straw (straw is a betterinsulator). It is important that the box is keptdry. Untreated pine is safe, however the rabbit may chewexposed wood. The Extronanest boxes areawesome. They attach to the outside of the cage and open fromthe top. They also have a removable bottom for easycleaning. However, they are difficult to find.Myhusband purchased a couple about 5 years ago when there was an Extronadealer at the Ohio state convention.

Pam

I just "hung" such a box on the end of a hutch I inherited with abunny, who is now relocated at Carolyn's. I used untreatedexterior plywood, installed a 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth floor, andmade a little partion within to preclude a draught from coming straightin through the access hole.

The partition also holds the feeder bowls, therefore the feed is notaffected by the weather. In addition, I bent a hay rack intoshape from some scrap fencing and it is in place at the protected endof the compartment, therefore is likewise uneffected by theweather. If things really get cold in the winter, I wouldlayer the wire floor with straw, but experience has shown that our bunsrarely spend a lot of time there,unless it is actually storming andhowling outside. Makes me feel better, though.

Some advocate covering all interior surfaces with wire to prevent therabbits from chewing the wood. It has been my experience thatthe the rate of chewing done withina hutch may meanreplacement in about 20 or 30 years or so! I figure, let'emhave it, if it makes them feel more at home.

Sloping roof is covered with corrogated plastic sheeting from Lowe's,as is the hutch top, now. Sleeping box roof is hingedforeasy access.

All our hutches are mounted on wheels, I cannot imagine whymore people do not do that fabulous addition. It makeseverything so much easier and cleaner.

Buck

Buck, all the postsI've read of yours I can't wait until you and Mrs. Buck finish thatclass and start posting photos! I want to see yourstuff! My husband is an all around handyman/jack of all trades.He is in the construction business and has plenty of knowledge andusually whatever materials would be needed for projects. Ijust was not sure which wood would be better for a new "housebox."

Yes, I look forward to that, too, as my hutches are pretty welldesigned. I can't take credit for that because the originalcame along with a pair of rabbits that were given to us. Theprevious owner designed and built it so the forward sloping roof opensup, toward the back and will stay suspended there on its own, and thefront opens out, to hang down, making cleaning and disinfecting a snap.

One side of the hutch is devoted to a sleeping area, the other half isopen. The end of the open side is framed with a heart shapedopening, which I maintained when I built my own sturdierversion.

I added corrogate plastic roofing in lieu of standard shingles becausethe latter weighed so much. I let it project several inchesbeyond all roof edges for better weather protection. I installed a Jfeeder on the inside of the sleeping area and fabricated a hack rack aswell for the reason given above. Wheels were added to movethe hutch(es) out of inclement weather and spred urine and feces aboutthe yard, instead of it building up in one area.

I also attached lattice to the back and sides of the hutch legs toprovide more strength and less flex when being wheeled about.None to the front, where it would interfere with my feet, or provide aplace for buns to escape to when we are trying to place them back inthe hutch in the evening after a day of free ranging.

I stained hutches with a colored siding stain in lieu of paint, becauseit is easier to do, especially with the lattice(ever try to paintlattice?) and looks rather nice. The lattice work makes thehutcheslook less "livestocky," if you know what I mean?

If your husband has access to free wood, I would imagine any kind willdo, as long as it is not treated chemically in any way. Iscrew everything together, for ease of repair and/or replacement atsome later date. I attach screen door handles here and thereto ease movement and opening/closing of the roof.

I built a "screen" to fit the top when the roof is opened up and heldin place with a bracket. This top screen provides moreventilation, yet is still somewhat protected from the elements by thepartially opened and secured roof. Screen also allowsinterior to dry out better after rainy, humid days and preventssquirrels from attempting to eat the buns' food.

Tell your husband to, "think out of the box." The originalowner/designer did, and the forward sloping roof(high rear/lower front)is much more weather proof than the commercial hutch that Fauna camewith that has a high front, and lower rear. Plus, the openingtop AND opening front was a stroke of genius in my estimation.

It's not rocket science and I don't even own a table saw, so all cutsare made with a hand cirular saw and are not, therefore, terriblyaccurate, or square. Help him by thinking "rabbit" for himand imagining what a rabbit would like in its home.

Buck

I'll have to remindhim like you say to "think outside of the box" in thisinstance. He usuallydoes and is well known amongstfriends and people in his industry for his ability to engineer userfriendly, cost effective and efficient projects. But I might have tomotivate him to think like Sebastian would! Your hutch sounds soefficient. We had one a few years back when we raised a litter of wildrabbits. It had an open end and and open top. The end thatopened was the wired end.The other end of the cage was allhouse and the top of it opened. It actually had no legs as we wantedthe wild buns to be on the same level as they would when they wereturned loose.We moved it several times a day and they grazedon the grass.Each evening we would open the end of the cageand let them roam the yard and then herd them back in atdark. As the weeks went by they eventually flew the coop, soto speak.

Looking very much forward to viewing your craftsmanship. The "hutches on wheels" is simply brilliant!

Pam

Back