Question About Water

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ameliasaur

Reaction score
I was lurking on the infirmary part of this forum (because I like to make sure there aren't any illnesses/conditions/symptoms I don't know about) & I read a couple of topics where drinking too much water has affected bunny/ies.

Is that true?

Because my bunny is at his water bottle quite often & once there he drinks for what seems like forever. 5 minutes? Maybe more? I've never timed it, although I've found it odd. I thought maybe the bottle just isn't giving him enough water with each lick so I've been considering trying a different bottle?
But now I'm worried he's drinking too much. Heh. :lookaround

Drinking a lot is great. When we worry about them drinking water, it's because they are drinking more than they used to and it doesn't seem to be from heat. That is because when kidneys are failing, animals increase the amount of water they drink to help flush toxins out of their system.

For example, with my bun that I brought to the vet for drinking/peeing more, he and his bondmate have been using the same water bowl for 6 years and it held enough for well over a day (although I cleaned it and replaced the water more frequently). But now I had to get them a much larger bowl or they would run out in 12 hours or so. There is also a TON more pee in and next to the litter box. That very noticeable increase is what caused the worry for me.

Latest posts

Back