question about rabbit playtime ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbit1

Reaction score
i am looking into adding a flemish giant to my zoo . my rabbit will have playtime in a excersize pen in my room so the dog will not be allowed in the room when the rabbit is out in the excersize pen. now i was think that the bunny will be out for at least 2 hours each day after school around 2:30 till 4:30. unless i have mcas tutoring which is not happening till january so when i have mcas tutoring the rabbit will be having playtime from 3:45 till 5:30 same thing on tuesday becuase i have knitting club. is this enough playtime during the weekday mon though friday ? the weekends will be from 3:30 till 5:30satuday and sunday.:biggrin2:

I believe rabbits need at least 3 hours a day, although 2 is much better than nothing :)

He will need enough space to be able to get into a full run, just to give you a guide trhat it will need to be a lot of space :)

Why is it you want a flemish?

Sounds fine to me, so long as the cage it will be in is a good size to let it move around between playtimes. For a Flemish, you will need at least 40" x 40" cage size. You can make this cage out of NIC cubes much cheaper than buying a cage, too. We have a NIC editorial in the Library here: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28197&forum_id=17

and i have a dog and limited space so i would not do the nic cage except i wanted somthing the right size and on a stand so the dog can not look at my rabbit.

If you have limited space, rather than one large bunny, would you not consider two smaller bunnies with similar traits of a Flemish?

Unless your room is exceptionally large I am not sure if a Flemish would get enough excercise in an indoor pen. We heve often talked about getting a Flemish but even worry if the garden was big enough. But maybe some Flemish breeders might come in and give advice

I have heard vets say that 2 one-half hour sessions are adequate, but I tend to disagree with that. 2-3 hours is much better. It is nicest if it can be broken up into a couple of sessions, however. The rabbit can get bored and does much better utilizing the time available when he gets it several times a day. Play with him while he is out. He will get bored and not exercise if he is left alone to his own devices. Also give him toys to keep him entertained while he is in his cage and in his playpen. Make sure he has plenty of room to run and do binkies.

Latest posts

Back