Question about Peanuts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyNBuster

Reaction score
Home of the white rabbits, , United Kingdom
I've read what a peanut is but I would like moreinformation. Can peanuts live until about 5-6 weeks or is it definatleyno longer than 2 weeks. Its just reading about peanuts they remind meof my Runty (yes that little guy is still always in my thoughts evennow :() and just wondered if he could have possibly been one. Its justhe never caught up and wouldn't grow even though he always seemed to beeating and drinkingand was still the same size as the otherswhere when they where about 3 weeks old. I know its daft for me tostill be wondering about him but I was keeping him and still miss himterribly, I just wish I knew why hewouldn't grow. I think I'mjust looking for answers I will just never find :(.

Vickie

Ps - The attached pic is of runty with one of his brothers when theywhere 6 weeks old. He actually looks quite large on thisbutwas probably about 3-4 inches.

DaisyNBuster wrote:
I've read what a peanut is but I would like moreinformation. Can peanuts live until about 5-6 weeks or is it definatleyno longer than 2 weeks. Its just reading about peanuts they remind meof my Runty (yes that little guy is still always in my thoughts evennow :() and just wondered if he could have possibly been one. Its justhe never caught up and wouldn't grow even though he always seemed to beeating and drinkingand was still the same size as the otherswhere when they where about 3 weeks old. I know its daft for me tostill be wondering about him but I was keeping him and still miss himterribly, I just wish I knew why hewouldn't grow. I think I'mjust looking for answers I will just never find :(.

Vickie

Ps - The attached pic is of runty with one of his brothers when theywhere 6 weeks old. He actually looks quite large on thisbutwas probably about 3-4 inches.

The inheritance of the gene which causes the lethal "peanuts" is onlyone of many genes that affect growth and lifespan. Many ofthe cases of "failure to thrive" can be caused by an inheritedmatabolic disorder. Many of these genes can result in deathin utero, at birth or cause a very shortened lifespan.

There have been over 100 dwarfing genes alone identified as well as the 1000's of other genes that can affect growth.

One of these is responsible foryour little "runt" -- however,it is not the lethal homozygous dominant dwarfing gene which isnormally fatal within 3 days.

Pam

Hi Vicki (DaisynBuster). I know thisthread was bumped for someone else but I was wondering how long "Runty"lived?

Reminds me of the struggle I'm going through with Triscuit. Ishould be fawning over the big and healthy kit but the little one hascaptured my heart and if he/she doesn't make it, I will be totallybummed out. (Not that I don't absolutely love the other kit, Iabsolutely love all the rabbits!)

Did you supplement feed with nutrical and all that? Did runtyarch his/her head up a lot? Triscuit has done this since thevery beginning and I'm wondering if it's an indication of somethingbad. Triscuit also tends to "rock" when sitting.And one eye has trouble staying "unglued".

<sigh> I wish there was a magic pellet ofsomething that would make everything all better by tomorrow.I'm still waking up every night to check on them. The kitsare 26 days old today.

bojay wrote:
HiVicki (DaisynBuster). I know this thread was bumped forsomeone else but I was wondering how long "Runty" lived?

Reminds me of the struggle I'm going through with Triscuit. Ishould be fawning over the big and healthy kit but the little one hascaptured my heart and if he/she doesn't make it, I will be totallybummed out. (Not that I don't absolutely love the other kit, Iabsolutely love all the rabbits!)

Did you supplement feed with nutrical and all that? Did runtyarch his/her head up a lot? Triscuit has done this since thevery beginning and I'm wondering if it's an indication of somethingbad. Triscuit also tends to "rock" when sitting.And one eye has trouble staying "unglued".

<sigh> I wish there was a magic pellet ofsomething that would make everything all better by tomorrow.I'm still waking up every night to check on them. The kitsare 26 days old today.
Hi Bojay. It's truly is heartbreaking isn't it? Runty was with us for about8 weeks I think.

Something in my mind knew he wasn't going to make it. He always rockedfrom side to side and although he always ate he just hardly evergrew.His eyessometimes looked as though they where havingtrouble staying open.I gave him some Science recovery (whichis like a UK version on nutrical), but nothing seemed to help as hewasn't lacking nutrients ashe was eating, drinking andpooping normally.

Just before he died he was kind of resting his head up on the bars andhis nose was wet. He could hardly walk, this is when I knew there wasnothing more I could do for him and he passed over to Rainbow Bridgeabout an hour later.

It is very hard and I really hope that Triscuit makes it,Iwouldn't wish that on anybody. LosingRunty was heartbreakingas I was going to keep him. I had kept hold of him so he could try andcatch up after the others went to their new homes, but I decided as Iwas so attached to him, if he made it he was mine.

Prayers going out for you and Triscuit!

Vickie

Oh boy, it sounds like Triscuit is Runtyreincarnated. Will you be Triscuit's internet/onineGodmother?

I try to stay optimistic, and also keep it real.But it'shard, I have a feeling I'll still be shocked if Triscuit crosses thatbridge.

Thank you for replying. I never thought I'd meet so many people with big hearts on a message board about rabbits!

I'd love to beTriscuit's Godmother. Iwish I could see the littledarling in person and give him/herlots of cuddles.

Having said that their symptoms are similar you never know Triscuitmight be a stronger fighter then Runty was and suprise us all! I reallyhope he/she does anyway.

I have been skimming through posts recently and may have missed some,but have you got any pictures of theangel? I'd love toseethem if you have.

Vickie

Back