question about NIC cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorguarder08

Reaction score
So Tay and I are going to be building a couple of hutches for Freckles and Sweet Heart so that they can be outside in the warmer months. I would like to basically build the hutches and play yard with the NIC cubes and just put wood on all sides but the front. The bottom would be solid wood as well. What do you guys think of this idea?

You can absolutely build play yards out of NIC cubes. You just need enough grids and zip ties! :biggrin2:

Don't forget to construct a top if they're going to be in an exposed area!

However, I don't recommend leaving rabbits outside overnight. There are just too many opportunities forrabbits to be injured, get sick, or worse. Plus people sometimes do steal rabbits out of people's backyard hutches. Sad but true.

But if the hutches you're planning arejust meant to bea shelter for their hay and litter, that's fine. You can build something out of 2X4s and plywood easily enough (no NIC grids necessary). We just built Gus a "bunny house" out of scrap lumber and it turned out great. I posted about it on my blog.

JMVHO

Hope that helps!

Rue

Of course the top is nessary. The hutchs I plan on building will be mostly shelter. the top bottom sides and back plus like have the front will be covered in ply wood and then I plan to put a partial wall in it so the bunny as enough room to climb underneath it but it will greatly reduce the amount of cold it is exposed to also there will be a bottom to the play yard as well just a ply wood board with some dirt covering it possibly some rabbit save plants in there as well. So yeah this is just my thoughts.

I think its a good idea :0 I would not leave my bunnies out last summer and once I did leave Akina for a minute and a crow landed in the tree calling his buddies- I went and saved my bunny!! The crows were seriously murderous in my old house!! lol They once coagulated in a giant Murder which lasted for like 2 weeks in my neighbors yard. They were snatching little birds from the sky and the street cats were involved, it was a rough couple of weeks! :p

So I always stayed with bunnies out in the yard- I don't trust hungry crows :p I think its a great idea to construct an outdoor play area , pictures to come I hope!

Yeah my grandparents have a cabin and near the cabin there was a bunch of magpies and they tormented an rabbits nest and once they got the momma out of the nest they killed all the babies and ate them so yeah I can understand your concern I know around here there are a bunch of falcons and eagles so yeah the top is definately a necessity.

Latest posts

Back