Question about Mini-Satin behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orrin

Reaction score
My wife and I are considering adopting a pair of red Mini-Satin kits; however, we've seen mention that some can be jumpy and neurotic, depending upon the bloodline and the handling they've been given.

What have your experiences been with Mini-Satins? Should we avoid the Mini and go for the full-sized, instead?

We live in the Pacific-Northwest where there seems to be a lack of Red Satin rabbit breeders. The only one close to us specializes in the Mini; so, that's why we are considering that size.

We already have a young pair of sandy-colored mixed breed females that we adopted from the Humane Society. They are very sweet and friendly and take their treats sitting on my lap. They are sweethearts. We really got lucky. If we get other rabbits we will not keep them in the same enclosure.

Attachments

• Ladies_3971.jpg
    Ladies_3971.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 7
I do not see any major behavioral differences determined by breed. Only in the most vague way can personality be assigned to a particular breed. For example, I've seen super shy mini-lops. outgoing ones, very naughty and adventurous ones, and very mellow ones. They just vary per individual and not per breed.

How young is your current pair? It is quite common for a pair of rabbits to have a falling out when their hormones activate. The cuddliest of babies can turn on each other. Adult rabbits seldom resemble their baby personalities.

For this reason it is usually discouraged to get two baby rabbits. If a bonded pair is desired, better to get an already fixed and bonded pair. Otherwise, get just one baby. Wait until he/she is old enough to spay or neuter. Do that, and let him/her heal. Then introduce him/her to other fixed rabbits to screen for potential compatibility. Then the bonding process begins. Baby 'bonds' aren't true bonds and tend to break once hormones kick in. Seen it so many times on this forum. (of course, there's always the rare exception)

With rabbits, it is the innate personality that determines how receptive they will be as adults to handling. It is not the early handling as babies that determines that. Here is a quote from Rabbits USA magazine:

Founder of Bunny Bunch rescue, Caroline Charland, states, "People often think a rabbit must be held a lot as a baby in order to like being held as an adult.I don't find this true at all. Over the years, the Bunny Bunch rescue I founded has saved many mother and baby rabbits from shelters. All the babies were treated the same. When they became adults their personalities varied-- some liked to be held, some hated to be held and some tolerated being held."

Have you looked at rabbit rescues? The sweetest rabbits, bonded or not, can be found through rescues. Their rabbits are all fixed (typically). Fixed rabbits are easiest to train -- easier than babies. The best part is that you get to see a true representation of their personality -- which can't be seen in babies.

Thank you for your very thorough reply, Blue Eyes. You presented a very convincing case.

You asked about our current pair. As far as we know they are about five months old. They have been spayed, so hormones are no problem. They are rescued rabbits and we hit the jackpot with them. I hear about unwanted bunny behaviors; but, neither of these ladies have the slightest hint of any.

The smallest, Flopsy, is the dominant one, but not domineering. She quickly came to trust me and sits on my lap for the entire morning treats and pellet-feeding session. She allows me to stroke and groom her the whole time. She's accustomed to being groomed by her sister.

Bugsy shies away at the slightest touch; so, I don't push it. She gets up on my lap for her favorite treat; but, gets down on the floor to munch on it.

We don't plan on another rescue at this time because we already have all the rabbit "personality" we could ever hope for. That said, we admire the beauty of the red satins. They are scarce enough as it is from breeders; where we live it is unlikely one will show up in the rescue pipeline.

Sounds like you have a great pair of rabbits. I had a pair with one shy and one not. Those treats were the ticket for drawing out the shy one!

I understand about being drawn to certain rabbits. I really like french lops but they are also very rare to see in the rescue world.

Latest posts

Back