Question about litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFthfulJrney

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is where I should post this or not, but I seem to get a lot of answers posting here! :)

Tomorrow will be one week since getting our new bun. She is a delight!

My question is everyday when I go to check on her in her cage or go to get her out of her cage, I am cleaning out the poop. Sometimes I just pick it up and put it in the litterbox, other times I just throw it away completely! Should I just leave it in there for a little while so she gets the hint to poop in the litter box, or am I doing it right by cleaning it our constantly?

Also, is there a "trick" to getting her to allow me to pick her up? We keep her cage upstairs in a bedroom, but during the day I bring her downstairs into the living room with us. When I go to pick her up to take her back upstairs, it literally takes about 20 minutes for me to catch her! :) What am I doing...if anything...wrong?

Thanks again sooo very much for your patience in answering my newbie bunny owner questions! :)

It may justtake some time for her to get used to you and her new surroundings before she settles down and gets easier to catch. We have a rabbit that takes forever to catch and he's pretty tame and we have others who are easy to catch.

I've never tried litter training a rabbit but sometimes the key is putting the litterbox in the corner of the cage that they typically use to pee and poop.

We've had our rabbit for years now and she still won't tolerate being picked up. This makes nail trimming an interesting experience.

Anyway, forget trying to pick her up. Instead, train her when it is "bedtime." This is what we did. Your rabbit knows where her "den" is, so at bedtime, start by saying the bun's name and "bedtime." then clap your hands. Gang up on her (but don't scare her behind furniture!), and repeat. Eventually you'll be walking behind her as she puts herself to bed. Be sure to give her lots of positive attention when she makes it to the enclosure. Then she'll learn the word "bedtime" and race to get there ahead of you to get her bedtime cuddles and kisses!

We were amazed at how fast Chessie picked up on this routine. Now we only have to clap twice and she's off like a rocket to get her kissies ;) So adorable!!

Latest posts

Back