Question about litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengal77

Reaction score
Currently I am using Yesterday's News. I like it a lot, but since I change the litter everyday Lily goes through 1-1 1/2 bags a month. That adds up, so I'm looking around for a cheaper alternative. Since everyone keeps talking about horse bedding I decided to stop in at a local feed shop and buy some horse bedding. The woman told me about the different kinds they have and asked what it was for. When I said a rabbit she directed me to a bag of horse stall pine shavings. It's called Clean Pine Shavings and it says that it is made by The Hay Exchange. When I asked her if the pine was kiln dried she hesitated and said yes. I don't know if I'm just being suspicious, but I think that she lied to me, or just didn't know and said whatever would make me buy it. It wasn't much, $5 and change for a 25 cubic foot bag (expands to 35 cubic feet) but I can't find any information about this product on the "company's" website. And the packaging is a manilla envelope colored plastic bag with a sticker containing the information, not the clear, printed bag that shows on the website.

Here is a link to the company's website. I'm not even convinced that they actually manufactured this bag of horse bedding since it's not listed on their website.
http://thehayexchange.net/index.htm

I have enough Yesterday's News to last about 2 more weeks, so I'm not hard pressed to use this stuff. And if it's not kiln dried I definitely don't want to use it. I don't mind eating the $5 and change (I stupidly said I didn't need a receipt when I paid for it and the hay) and I can always sell it as is on CL.

Do you think this bedding is safe? What brand/type do you use? I can't get ahold of wood stove pellets (I live in FL) so horse bedding is my only economical alternative to pet store brands of litter. Lily uses a large litter pan with a fluorescent lighting grid so her feet would never even touch the litter. But I don't want to risk mites or aromatic oils to save a few bucks.

What you want is the Stampede Bedding Pellets. I see they list them on their website. That is what I use. Hint: you only need to spread a single layer in the bottom of your pan. A little bit goes a long way.

Have you tried wood stove pellets? They are quite cheap ($5 for 40lbs or so) and work pretty well. I get a little more odor than YN, but not much, and it's worth it for the price. You only need to use a thin layer on the bottom of the box (same with YN). The horse stall bedding is the same thing (made by the same manufacturter) but you need to get the pellets. Kiln dried shavings are ok, bu they're not going to absorb as well.

Can I ask why you clean the litter box every day? I only change my twice a week (and sometimes get lazy) and don't notice any smell really unless I stick my face in it. You may be able to get away with changing it half as often.

Yes, no one uses wood stoves in Florida so no one sells wood stove pellets. I didn't even know that such a thing existed since I've lived in the south my whole life.

I called the company and found a store that sells the horse pelleted bedding. I will try to drop by this week and pick up a bag.

Back