Question about keeping my rabbit's paws clean.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 14th month old Holland Lop loves to lay around the area he goes potty in. He also tends to dig in that area as well. His paws occasionally smell like urine and I'm curious whether or not I should wash them? I've read many horror stories about bathing bunny's so I'm apprehensive about it. Would it hurt to maybe wash just the paws with a little water and light soap. Then I'll dry them thoroughly with a towel? He does very well at self grooming, I will say that.

Any thoughts on this or tips for keeping him clean?

You could try a wash cloth, or less then half an inch of water in a tray or something for his bath. But don't actually bath him. And you generally want to stay away from soaps as they can be potentially harmful.

How is his cage set up?
Do you have bedding in the entire cage or do you use a litter corner for him?
What type of litter/bedding?

there are fairly easy things to do that will totally eliminate him touching where he pees.

Thank you for your reply, Watermelons! The wet wash cloth sounds like a good idea!

He has a certain area on the end that he likes to potty in. I have bedding all throughout there, more so on the top and bottom corners because that's how he likes it. If I have bedding in that entire potty area he pushes the bedding away from the middle. He's very picky! Lol! Then I have light amounts of bedding throughout the cage for him to dig and lay in. I use all natural cellulose fiber bedding. Currently he is using Carefresh Natural.

have you tried only offering the bedding/litter in a litter pan at the end of the cage he pottys in?

If you can do this, you can actually create a grate over the litter once hes used to using just the litter pan, then hes not touching his own urine.

If you offering bedding/litter throught the entire care, it confuses them and well they just make a mess. Most bunnys don't need any bedding through out the entire cage.

Latest posts

Back