Question about hemp

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neri18

Reaction score
Pip likes to sometimes nibble the carpet, even though he's been getting better about it lately since he has so many toys to chew. I was thinking since hemp is pretty cheap and a natural fiber, would it be safe for him to eat? I was thinking about like knotting some together and leaving strands for him to chew on instead of the carpet since he seems to like chewing fibers. Does anyone know if it would be safe?

Yes, the hemp fibre is fine, I see lots of bunny things advertised with "Hutch Hemp,made from the soft core of the hemp plant." I've given mine hemp ropes and mats to chew on.

Just not the leaves. ;)

Also, if you can find US-made products, it's a good bet those ones haven't been sprayed with any pesticides. I don't know about the US, but Canada requires imported plant materials to be treated, although studies indicate most treatments are pretty safe.

Hope this helps.

sas :)

Thanks :) I just always see those big rolls of hemp at craft stores and figured I could make stuff for him to chew up since it's hard to find good rope toys, and he likes to play tug-of-war with stuff. I could go nuts making custom toys and it would be cheaper than paying $4 at the store for them.

Latest posts

Back