Question about hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolWaterRabbitry

Reaction score
Ok. So when I first got into rabbits (pets) I read, and was told that rabbits under 6 months normally get alfalfa hay due to growing etc. Then after 6 months they get timothy.

Well, more often then not I have bought rabbtis from breeders that do not give alfalfa, and just give unlimited timothy or grass. The Rhinelanders I was told that they should only get timothy since they are big eaters (and YES they are) and when they gain too much weight it is nearly impossible to get them back into shape.

Well, all ours are getting unlimited timothy at the moment, the babies with the does too. They all get alfalfa-based pellets, in moderation though.

My question is what do you other breeders go by? I have no issue with going out and getting alfalfa for the younger ones if that is what's best for them, or is staying with timothy only fine?

I never use alfalfa either. It is just easier for me to buy one kind of hay that everyone can eat and not have to worry about it.

I don't feed alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets to my rabbits under 6 months, either. It is easier to buy just one type of hay/pellets, and my juniors are all fine on timothy hay & timothy based pellets.

Emily

I use alfalfa and brome and coastal and maybe timothy if I can find it.

My rabbits might get alfalfa as a treat once a month or once every six weeks....mixed in with their other hay. I also use it for babies and mamas that are nursing.

However - I don't always use it - just depends upon if it is available and how much it is.

Latest posts

Back