Question about Geranium Pratense plants.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2019
Messages
2,364
Reaction score
1,569
Location
Estonia
I was borrowing our unknown neighbours' forgotten land to cut some hays for Iris, as i have done for a few years now. In that field i see and identified timothy, orchard, purple moor-grass, ground elder, dandelion among other things. Today's cutting also had a flowering plant which i hadn't seen before. Plant indicators told me it's ''meadow crane's bill'' which seems to be an okay plant inside livestock dried hay. 358398241_626248015922157_1720111856073450181_n.jpg358819894_535793408623800_3787817897610044078_n.jpg
But i'm getting a little bit confused if it's rabbit-safe or not since it seems like english has ''geranium'' for the meadow flower as well as the potted one that seems to be poisonous. I have plucked out the flowering plants and thrown them off the drying rack as i don't want to risk Iris having a taste of something i'm still conflicted about.
Some clarification would be nice.
 
I forage geranium plants along with everything else, and my rabbits eat it. I've seen them eating it on the meadow. They wouldn't if it were toxic to them in any relevant way.

A lot of plants get on toxic-lists because they are toxic for some animals (like allium plants and dogs, or butterbur and most mammals) that aren't toxic for rabbits, or they just something that could be considered a toxin (like appleseeds) but either in no relevant amounts or more theoretically (like bindweed).

My approach by now is - if they eat it, and have lots of other stuff to chose. it's ok. They know better than I do.
 
I forage geranium plants along with everything else, and my rabbits eat it. I've seen them eating it on the meadow. They wouldn't if it were toxic to them in any relevant way.

A lot of plants get on toxic-lists because they are toxic for some animals (like allium plants and dogs, or butterbur and most mammals) that aren't toxic for rabbits, or they just something that could be considered a toxin (like appleseeds) but either in no relevant amounts or more theoretically (like bindweed).

My approach by now is - if they eat it, and have lots of other stuff to chose. it's ok. They know better than I do.
I too appreciate your wisdom!
It’s amazing the things we learn by reading others questions and your responses !
Thank yiu thank you!!!🫶🐇🐇
 
I forage geranium plants along with everything else, and my rabbits eat it. I've seen them eating it on the meadow. They wouldn't if it were toxic to them in any relevant way.

A lot of plants get on toxic-lists because they are toxic for some animals (like allium plants and dogs, or butterbur and most mammals) that aren't toxic for rabbits, or they just something that could be considered a toxin (like appleseeds) but either in no relevant amounts or more theoretically (like bindweed).

My approach by now is - if they eat it, and have lots of other stuff to chose. it's ok. They know better than I do.

The important part to note is 'have lots of other stuff to choose', so a rabbit doesn't have too limited of a selection. If a rabbit has limited food selection, such as indoor rabbits on hay and pellets, there is the possibility they could try to eat a plant that wasn't good for them. It's something that has happened to a few past RO members with indoor and outdoor buns, where toxic plants were consumed with harmful results. If in doubt, don't risk it.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits
 

Latest posts

Back
Top