question about genetics?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
First off let me start by saying no I am not breeding. Nor do I ever plan to. I was talking to someone one day and thought about it.

If you where to mix a lop a full blooded lop with a blue dutch could you get the lop ears with the dutch markings?

I was talking to another mod and thought it could be a good question to ask. I am not looking to mix breeds I am just wondering how genetics and breeding would play into something like that.

I hope I get some great answers.

Kat-Mod

You are most likely to get erect ears and a variety of markings. Lop ears are a multifactoral trait, not controlled by any single gene.

It is possible, I have seen pics of a dutch marked lop...looked really nice. I would take many generations of breeding to get the markings right as well as the type for the lop.
Could be a fun project, tho not one I'd like to try in a hurryu.

I had an unplanned litter between a Mini Lop and a Jersey Wooly. One kit had completely lopped ears and a Wooly coat...so kinda like a Wooly Lop! Lol! Another had a mane like a Lionhead and erect ears. The rest had normal fur coats, but some had erect ears and others had sort of "helicopter" ears. So, it's pretty much random chance...

maladrick wrote:
It is possible, I have seen pics of a dutch marked lop...looked really nice. I would take many generations of breeding to get the markings right as well as the type for the lop.
This is more likely caused by the vienna gene and not an actual Dutch mix.:)

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
maladrick wrote:
This is more likely caused by the vienna gene and not an actual Dutch mix.:)

No it wasn't the vienna gene. I breed BEW lops so am very familiar with the vienna gene.

This was pics from a Eurpean website (from the Netherlands I believe). The breeder was creating dutch marked lops by introducin the dutch into the lops. The biggest challenge is getting the lop-type back.

Latest posts

Back