Question about flooring...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buster2369

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am having some issues with Buster lately, ever since he came home from his neuter a week ago. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night to him digging at his flooring in his xpen. Right now he has a tablecloth over my carpet, and newspapers over that and then a towel on top of everything. I have had Buster for 6 months and he never tried to dig and chew up things. Last night he made a whole right down to the carpet. Now I am nervous he could ingest it.

Now I am trying to figure out what would be a good floor for his xpen. I was thinking about those children's play mats.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/eWonderWorld-Rainbow-Interlocking-foam-Wonder/dp/B001XUIEFO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1334725041&sr=8-9

Do you think this would be a good product? I don't want him to be able to dig/rip/chew it up...

Does anyone have experience with it?
Also what would you recommend for a rabbit that likes to dig/chew their flooring?

Anyway, thanks for any advice you can provide. I need some ideas. :D Hope everybun is well.

-Andria

*also, anyone wondering, Buster is doing very well since his surgery. He bounced back right away and started doing binkies today. In fact the minute I brought him home he devoured a very large salad.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen people use them but the one time I tried, my bunny was having way too much fun making a hole with his nails and then happily chewing away at it. I'm not sure how safe the material is myself. Perhaps you could stick linoleum/ceramic tiles onto a wood board and use that. You'd have to give a mat of some sort to give him traction and something softer but it's durable, easy to clean, and hard to chew. (If the edges on linoleum are well done so he can't get to them). Myself, no matter the bun, I always have something to protect my flooring. I don't have carpet but I still make it so that anything they can destroy is theirs and replaceable. Lol.

I don't know how big the space is, but with my diggers, I have found that giving them something to dig helps. So even a cardboard box with shredded newspaper or a phone book or something might help. Maybe it's more about distracting him from that and giving him something to destroy that will more benefit you guys. :)

Honey has a nice dig box, but still goes at flooring if I'd let her. Flattened cardboard boxes work well if you have 2 overlapping layers. Linoleum works if you scuff it up enough. That's what I have in my Chicago condo. Here at the little lake I got an indoor-outdoor carpet with very tight, low weave that I hope will work. The only problem with it so far is that it's such a dark color it's hard to see where the stray poops are when I enter the xpen, lol.

Thank you for the replies...:)
I just wanted to update. I gave Buster a dig box in the area he likes to dig in. It seems to be working so far. I also gave him some more toys to play with so he doesn't get bored and act out.

Flattened cardboard boxes was a really good idea, it has worked out so far. Last night I heard him trying to peel the layers of the cardboard and eating it. I would rather have him eat cardboard than a plastic tablecloth. :)

He has been wanting to jump on things again, but since his neuter was 9 days ago, I thought I would make him wait a bit. :bunnyheart

Glad to hear everything is working out! And making him wait just a bit for jumping, good for you Mom. Just to be sure all is healed up!

K:)

Latest posts

Back