Question about cage sizes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jil101ca

Reaction score
Tinsmom asked me about my cage sizes and now she has me wondering if my cages are to small. Thanks tinysmom, lol. i have a flemish doe and another doe almost her size arein cages 36x24x24h. I'm making a kindle cage 72x24x24h for my flemish.my 2 smaller rabbits are in 24x24x18h but Blacky is moved to a 36 cage when she is breed. My babies are in 36x24x18h but I have 8 girls to 1 cage and am in the process of making a new cage so I can split them up.They seem like they have enough room. I want to do this right and made my own cages bigger than what other breeders use around here, 18x24x18h is way to small for a large breed rabbit IMHO. Do i need to go larger cages???What does everyone else have???

My dutch rabbits have a minimum of 24x36 cages, including my bucks. My larger harlequins have a minimum of 30x36 cage. I leave them in their own cage and don't change them for kindling. I prefer a cage that is at least 18 high, but will use a shorter cage for the smaller buns. My dutch came from 24x18 cages but couldn't even move in those so I took out all the center dividers and doubled their space. They LOVE the room.

I'm not a breeder and I don't know as much about this, but I would recommend getting a bigger cage for your flemish, even when she's not having babies. 36x24 is the normal cage size here for the average meat rabbit- New Zealands, Californians, etc. I actually have one of those because it came with two of my rescued rabbits, and I had to keep a 9 lb Palomino in it for two weeks while transporting her. Although that's the "correct" size breeder cage for her, I thought it was awfully small. I can't imagine a rabbit twice her size in it.

I'm always for bigger cages. I've seen my rabbits change and become more relaxed and more happy when their cage size increases.

I use 24x24 for my Mini Rex singles, and 30 x 36 for when one has a litter. For my Flemish, a single is 36 x 36, and 36" x 6' for one that has been bred.

I googled this and here are some links (I hope they work ok):

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs<WBR>/rabbits/a/rabbithomes.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com<WBR>/question/index?qid=20061204105<WBR>759AA5BkHx

My lionheads do fine in an 18 X 24" cage. If the cage is wire - they haev a 12" X 12" tile to sit on. If the cage is a dog kennel type thing - they have a corner litterbox. If they hate litterboxes and refuse to use them- I clean their cage every day or couple of days as I can (sometimes I&#39;m sick or very busy).

My mamas go in 24" X 24" cages.

A dear friend of mine is getting rid of some of her wabbitat cages and wants me to take them for free when we go to Lionhead Nationals. They are almost new and too hard for her to clean. She bought them when she started breeding rabbits and 2 months later was in an accident where she was thrown from a car and it rolled on her several times. She just can&#39;t bend enough to work with these cages....

Here is link to them:

http://www.amazon.com/MIDWEST<WBR>-Wabbitat-Rabbit-Cage-157/dp<WBR>/B0002AT3K6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp<WBR>_k2a_2_txt/102-2668725-8860116

These are going to be my "mama" cages along with a few 24" X 24" cages. What is currently my rabbitry will be my nursery...as the majority of the rabbits are moving to the garage.

I can hardly wait for these cages - they&#39;re like 20X 36" or something like that....

She has 6 of them plus 2 smaller ones for me.

Anyway - hope this helps!

Peg

P.S. Pam Nock once wrote an excellent post about breeder rabbits and cages and explained how breeder&#39;s rabbits aren&#39;t that badly treated (good breeders that is).

It was quite informative but I can&#39;t figure out how to search for it quickly...and it was over a year ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did see the size of your hutches before in a different post i think and i was personally surprised how small they are, but i guess breeders are different because you have more to house than just pet owners, but for my french lops i have 72x24x24, for 2 rabbits together i have 60x24x24 and for single mini lops 48x18x18

Yes, it would be nice to be able to have our rabbits (in a rabbitry) in cages that big, but impossible. I have a very small rabbitry, and I never have less that 20 rabbits at a time. Think how much space that would take! LOL

Latest posts

Back