Question about buying rabbits at Columbus Mini Convention in May

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissa

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been reading for a long time but rarely post - I'm a bit shy.

I recently lost my second Flemish Giant, Rory, to a mouth abscess. My vet was amazing but he went down very quick as I'm sure you all understand. I am down to one bunny, a Californian, Zander. He is about 4 years old. I have owned a dutch, mini lop, lionhead mix, Californian and two flemish during my life. Most were rescues.

I loved my Flemish, but after loosing two in a row to mouth abscesses I want to try a different breed. I am looking for a Jersey Wooly or Polish for their personalities and smaller size. I know these breeds are a bit hard to come by as opposed to lops or dutch.

I was thinking about going to the Columbus rabbit show in May to purchase one (pet not breeder). My questions - do they sell rabbits at the show? I have never been to a show so I don't really know what happens at one. What can I expect if I can purchase a rabbit?

Thanks everyone for your expertise.

Most shows do allow sales, but it can vary. Some require rabbits to be there for the whole show or might charge a small fee for sale rabbits that are not entered. It is up to the breed if they will have anything for sale though.

I would suggest trying to find a breed that is going to the show and ask if they will have anything for sale. You could even arrange to get a certain one, or the breeder might bring a few if they can. Knowing there is someone interested can mean a breeder will bring a sale rabbit. Some breeders do just bring sale ones, but you might not know until you get there.

It seems that this mini convention is cooped and the rabbits would have to stay for the show. All rabbits do have to be entered in the show as well, so breeders aren't apt to be taking a bunch of sale rabbits. You should be able to take a rabbit home when the show is done (Sunday afternoon?) or even meet with the breeder before they check in and take a rabbit then.

When you go, be prepared to take a rabbit home. Have a carrier ready with suitable bedding, hay, and a water dish. It also helps to be more or less set up at home so you aren't fussing about getting the cage set up when you bring the rabbit home. Bring cash to pay for the rabbit, most breeders don't take checks and credit or debit cards can be tricky to use. Check the rabbit over before taking it, and ideally watch it for a bit to see if it is acting normally. Some rabbits do stress more at a show, but they should not be snotty, sneezing, or otherwise look sick.

It really would be best to contact a breeder before the show and make more specific arrangements that way.

You don't have to contact a breeder beforehand. If its like other mini conventions there will be rabbits for sale. At coop shows the rabbits have to stay until they are released. If you do contact a breeder beforehand they might be willing to scratch the rabbit and let you take it home earlier. First you'll need to decide on a or a couple of breeds. Then decide if you want a male or female. There will be A LOT of rabbits there and narrowing your choices will make it much easier.

Thanks for the info. I may just go and look at the bunnies this time as I want to meet these two breeds first before deciding. Maybe I'll find some I like and the breeder and I can make some arrangements for shows later in the year.

Oh sorry I missed that you mentioned jersey wooly and polish. You might find a smaller amount of those two breeds there. A bunch of breeds will be having their breed nationals there (my breed tans are one of them) so it may be easier to find local breeders. Just be aware there will be people from all over the us so if you find a breeder you like and they're from out of state this might be the only opportunity. But most importantly have fun and enjoy all the bunnies!

You may not find many Polish there. The Polish Nationals are in Indiana this year. If there are any Polish they'll be entered in the all breed show that they're holding on Sunday. JW's will be there though.

You might also want to check your local rabbit rescues. Additionally at Bun fest in Ohio there are tons of rescues that are brought there looking for homes. My two rescues travelled from Tenn to here in MD via Bun Fest and had tons of pics of them on some facebook sites!

Just an idea
Vanessa

Thanks all for the info and ideas.

It's nice to know I won't see as many polish so I won't be disappointed - I was leaning towards a Jersey Wooly anyway.

(I would really LOVE a Tan as they are beautiful, but they seem like they would prefer to run around than be petted.)

Last edited:
Jersey Woolies are nice. Mine is a tad crazy, but he's fun. Tans are totally crazy, not that is is bad, just a lot of crazy bunny. My Tesla totally prefers to run around, hard to keep him still.

Lol you should see my list of what I want - I keep changing my mind because all the bunny breeds are awesome.

Polish
Jersey Wooly
Tan
English Spot
English Angora
Dutch
Netherland Dwarf
Lionhead
and of course I miss my Flemish Giants

Some can be big lovebugs when they get older but they do have their moments of put me down I just want to run! I love seeing them run anyways because they have lots of binkys and nose bonks to give <3

I like Woolys :) I would raise the breed but i cant handle the wool. The ones I have met have all been super sweet

Now I really want a Tan also - maybe I can do some convincing of the hubby. Two small rabbits are the same as one Flemish right? :whistling

most guys fall in love with the tans as soon as they see them. They are just so striking how can you not. There will be plenty tans there and some for sale so just research the breed REALLY well before getting one. If you decide on one be very picky with its personality and ask the breeders how much they handle their rabbits. Also ask them to show you how to handle the tan itself. They are very different rabbits and must be handled a certain way in order for your and their safety. Woolys are much more laid back

Thanks! I'm already half under the "Tan" spell. Think I'll just meet a bunch of breeders and see who has the most friendly/handled rabbits.

Latest posts

Back