Question About Breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsandLops

Reaction score
We have two dutch that were surrendered together (and yes they have been together), one male and one female. Well, we have been keeping them apart except for some playtime, and they have to have their cages next to each other. They will just walk back and forth if they can't see each other, even not eating. Well we are pretty sure that the girl is pregnant, quite round, but that is the only sign I have. Well, this morning I let them out to play and I noticed her humping him, no big deal, but then he started humping her (didn't get anywhere) but she voiced her opinion and thumped her feet. Does this mean she is pregnant, I have read about females not letting males get anywhere if their already pregnant. Is this true?

A few more questions:

They have been together since Easter, I am assuming babies at Easter, wouldn't they have had a litter by now?

If a male "flips off" a female, does that mean the breeding was a success, or couldthat mean, hehe, just that he had success?

The two of them should not be allowed to be together. If the doe wasn't pregnant, she may be now.

It's possible that the doe did have a previous litter. However, check both the buck and doe to be certain of their sexes.

It isn't true that pregnant does will refuse to breed.

The buck "flipping over" off the doe indicates successful ejaculation - although not necessarily where it was supposed to be. (We always check the vulvas of our does after breeding for indication that the buck has "hit the mark".)

Pam

Yeah their boy and girl I am 100% on that, but there has been no breeding, the flipping off is referring to a 4h mother calling me and asking, I had no idea honestly as I haven't seen that many rabbits breed. She has a child that let a nethie in with a NZ and she said she didn't think the buck (nethie) could do anything due to size, well until he flipped off. As far as the two here, their as been no breeding, and I am very sure of that. I have left them (Dutch) together no more then 5 mins at a time and I am always there, and most of that time she just humps him, and that is about the point I remove her. He has gotten on her once, and that was backwards, that is when she protested. Its not like I want her to be bred, but I just wanted to ask as it seemed odd to me. I know there is always a risk, but I watch them like a hawk. I was taught by a breeder that test breeding is one of the best methods to safely see if a doe is pregnant or that the breeding was a success. We have practiced it here for some time with rescue rabbits that come in as pairs, putting my overly active neutered boy in with a girl we think is pregnant and we have had that work about 75% (haven't counted, but I think its been wrong once) of the time to tell is a doe is pregnant or not.

Also, The Dutch boy has either very small test. or I can't find them (But he is a boy). Their not up in there, if you know what I mean, I can't feel anything but two little tiny things about the sizes of peas. Is this normal for his guessed age (~7-8 mos)? Or is there something wrong?

Ok another question, We have a J/W rescue that is seriously not interested in girls, not neutered yet. Why? He just runs from girls (spayed) unlike other males that show at least some interest, and his testes are very soft. I know that sounds odd but I am talking like jelly. Neither my vet or I can figure out why. We have no history on him, as he was a dumped bunny, but it just seems weird. He is over a year old, but that is a guess.

You really need to neuter the dutch boy and/or spay the girl as soon as possible. It's wonderful that they are bonded, but if she does get pregnant, they would have to be seperated before the litter is born and for 6 weeks after..... Gestation is 31 days for a rabbit. They should not be allowed to "play" together at all until they are "fixed", unless you are ready to raise a litter. They can literally breed in 10 seconds... and unless you are right on top of them, you can not stop it. If she kindles (delivers a litter) she can and WILL get pregnant again THAT DAY if she still has access to the buck.

Being as they came in together, they could be siblings, and as such really should not be bred together. As far as the size of his testicles, all male rabbits can "pull them up" into their body. And they would appear to be very small. That doesn't mean they are not functioning.

(After neutering, a buck can still sire a litter for up to 8 weeks, so they would have to be kept apart for at least 2 months after surgery).

As Pam said, a bred doe will and canallow a mounting buck... it's really not an accurate "test" of pregnancy.... (and a non-pregnant doe can refuse a mounting buck too!)

And I have hada couple ofintact bucks that showed no interest in does... ever! Doesn't mean they can't, just won't.... but still not safe around unspayed does.

Latest posts

Back