Question about bonding with a new baby bunny....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foreverblue127

Reaction score
So my new bunny peanut is very,very shy. I tried the same things that I did with my first bun. And so far they haven't really worked. I tried just sitting and ignoring him. But he does NOT get curious about me at all. So I decided to try something different. I got him out of his cage and sat with him on the couch. I put him on my chest nuzzled against my neck. He was pretty scared, he was shaking. But then he would calm down and at one point looked like he was falling asleep. I spoke to him calmly a petted him. We sat like that for an hour! Then he started to get restless and I put him back. Today I did the same thing and at first he was scared, but he calmed much quicker. He even got a little more curious and started looking around. At one point my dog walked by and spooked him. He ran straight up to my neck and nuzzled me. Then he started to kind of play around. Digging on my jacket and zipper. Whenever he is spooked he runs up to my neck again. He sits with me for about an hour before he gets restless. What do you think? It seems like it's working. Do you think that 1 hour is too long for him to sit with me?
Sorry for such a long post.

I think what you did with your boy is good. Every bunny has his/her own personality. Some easily get along well with others of humans, some take more time to get used to be around people or be surrounded by other creatures. :) We'd worked hard on bonding with our girl and believe me, our girl took quite some time to get used to us as well. Be patient and trust your baby boy. Let him getting to know you and get used to your environment and one day, I'm sure, he will be a loving bunny boy. With my experience, bonding time should be in a quiet place, no other distraction, just you and him. It will help your bun being more calm.
Good luck with the bonding ;)

Success! Yes!!! He was sitting on my chest tonight close to my face and all of a sudden he started licking my face all over:) Then I kissed his cheek and he kissed mine at the same time. Then he stretched his legs out and fell asleep on me. I am so happy! Dogs and cats are so friendly right away with buns you have to work for it. It makes you feel so good when you win them over.

Latest posts

Back