Question about alfalfa

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmfh

Reaction score
I actually have two questions, the first: My bun is about 3 years old and I have only given her orchard grass and Timothy hay as she was older when I got her. A friend gave me a half used bag of alfalfa. Can I give my bun small amounts along with her other hay?
Second question, I stopped feeding my bun pellets awhile back because she was producing too many cecals of a mushy nature. Since I have stopped giving her pellets we have not had that problem. My question is : Can rabbits get all of their nutritional needs met (ie. vitamins and minerals) from eating nothing but hay?
I feel kind of goofy asking this question but she is my first ever bun.
Thank you in advance.

I don't think hay can give them everything they need, but I could be wrong. I would either try giving either a very small amount of pellets, try a different brand, or just use a wide range of leafy greens instead :)

I believe you can use the alfalfa, but just small amounts alongside your other hay.

They can't get all their nutritional needs from just hay. I agree with Azerane about trying a different pellet or reducing what you were giving. Pellets are the easiest way to give them the vitamins/minerals they need. Rabbits can get all their nutritional needs from greens/veggies but it takes some research to know what to feed, how much, etc.

A small amount of alfalfa is okay as a treat for an adult rabbit, but if you've had problems with excess cecals I'd be careful since it is higher in protein. Grass hays aren't really a complete and balanced diet for a rabbit. Have you tried reintroducing just a small amount of pellets to her diet? Formulating a pellet-free diet can be done but it's a bit tricky and definitely something to discuss with your vet.

Latest posts

Back