Question about a bun's behaviour.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xila

Reaction score
As some may know, I have not officaly checked BunBun's gender, but I think BunBun is female. Is there any sort of behavior that I could watch for to determine BunBun's gender? I can give details on her current behaviour if needed.

By the way- BunBun is extremly insceure about being turned upside-down like that to check. =(

Just so you know, It's not that I don't care enough to check, like said BunBun DESPISES being turned like that, and will scratch, struggle, and bite to get away. D=

Xila wrote:
By the way- BunBun is extremly insceure about being turned upside-down like that to check. =(

Just so you know, It's not that I don't care enough to check, like said BunBun DESPISES being turned like that, and will scratch, struggle, and bite to get away. D=

you just described 90% of all rabbits lol.

okiron wrote:
Xila wrote:

you just described 90% of all rabbits lol.
:yeahthat: Yeah, I figgured I'd throw that in anyway. xDD

could you try sort of sitting her and cupping your hand around her middle and then looking so she is not upside down, just sitting with her back legs forward (how a person might sit). I'm not sure if I'm describing that well.

Ladies can do the same as men, the circling, spraying, digging, humping,so really, behaviour is no reliable way to tell.

You could try sitting Bunbun on your lap and just feeling donw below to see if you can feel and nads,they are either side of their 'holes'.

How old is Bunbun?

Getting pregnant?

Take her to the vet? They could check very easily, and you could ask them to check during a checkup.

- Rachel.

Thanks, I'll try it sometime. ^^
BunBun is 6/7 month-ish.
I really want to get BunBun Spayed/neutured.

Nah, not getting her bred(sp?), just curious. ^^

I would take her to the vet, but:
There is no small animal clinic for hours that do rabbits. D= (That I know of)
(I live in Wellsboro, PA, if you'd be interested in looking or something.)

Another thing... I really did not want to tell anyone, but My mom doesn't care about BunBun when it comes to vet stuff. )=
She doesn't care getting a "Rodent" spayed or neutered, she doesn't care getting a "Rodent" check-ups... If I want something for BunBun, I'll have to do it myself; Every penny... She just thinks it's a "Waist of time and money" to get spayed/neutered and checkups.

And getting a few dollars every Saterday? Not helping. D=
Nobody in my towns pays for getting the driveway shovled (Our neibor has a snowplow, he goes around plowing the driveways for free because he is an old man with nothing better to do, no offence to him.) There is nowhere I can work, (That is why my dad stayes in Philly 5/7 of his week) and my mom doesn't pay for my chores. I get little to no money for holidays, and all that. D=

By the way- How much does a checkup and spay/neutering cost? (Just general range of price)

Anyway, sort of off-topic. I appoligize.

Just a side note-rabbits aren't rodents, they are lagamorphs. You might correct your mom next time she says that. :)

To get a rabbit fixed can be pretty expensive, and varies pretty widely. Most people on here have payed anywhere from $100-250 to get a spay/neuter done. I can get mine done for $55 neuter, $70 spay, but that is pretty rare. I'm sorry your mom isn't co-operating, I know that has to be frustrating.

Thanks. ^^ It is rather frustraiting at times.
Ah, Lagamorphs. I knew they weren't Rodents, but I couldn't remember the name either.

^^ Wow. Where do you live? I have to sneak down and check out your vets. Even if it is rare, 55-70 dolars is quite a good deal. Are they reliable? Did they have problems?

Edit: And what about a typical check-up?

I found an exotic vet in Lewisburg. Not sure how far that is from Wellsboro.

[align=left]Dr. Borden Loving

Facility:
Lewisburg Veterinary Hospital

Address:
207 Fairground Rd.
Lewisburg PA 17837

Phone:
570-523-3640[/align]
[align=left]There is also one in Wellsville in NY. [/align]
[align=left]

Dr. Thomas Lopez

Facility:
Wellsville Veterinary Hospital
Exotic Pets Seen:
Rabbits Ferrets Chinchillas Pocket Pets (gerbils, hamsters, etc.) Miscellaneous Exotic Pets

Address:
2435 Stannards Road

Wellsville NY 14895

Phone:
585-593-5500[/align]

At 6-7 mths, if BunBun is male, his 'jewels' should have descended. the next time you see BunBun lying down, lift up BunBun's tail gently and see if can spot a couple of pink sacs :p

Wow, i didn't realize how much more work it is to get stuff for your rabbit in small towns. :( Here in San DIego there is this amazing program called SNAP that targets low income families (like me) and do neuturing/spaying for almost nothing. I paid an amazing $25.00 for my bun and its been a month and he couldn't be more perfect.

If you need money to save up, then maybe ask for money for Christmas and birthdays and put it towards having Bunbun 'fixed'. At that age you would probbaly notice if he had his nads, because they are a bit hard to miss. Cloud's used to poke out from between his legs whenever he laid down so it was easy to notice without touching him or anything.

Thanks, everyone! I'll do that next time I happen to see BunBun laying down. The only flaw with that is that whenever BunBun sees me, she gets up and goes to me to get petted. D= It's cute and all, but it's frustraiting when you want to do something like that. xD

Thanks for the vets. ^^
Lewisburg is less than 2-hours away.

Aren't car trips extremly stressful for rabbits? What can I do to make her more comforable in a car? Would she need a harness/leash?
I can't honestly say I've taken an animal like a rabbit to a vet, and I know nothing about it.

Edit: The only problem with saving Birthday and Christmas money, is that Christmas is in winter, and my Birthday is in the summer. o_O They are virtually on the other ends of the year...

She wouldn't need a harness of anything, she will need to be in a carrier.

It can be stressful, it depends on the bun. Mine are fine, with the exception of Cloud who gets angry and tears everything apart.

You can buy a carrier from any store, I use cat carriers because they are easy to get the buns out (in a tick I'll find the sort of thing I mean).

You can get Bunbun used to it by having him in it for small times, then doing shorted journeys with treats, things like that. I had a guy that used to travel everywhere with me, each week we would travel two and a half hours, twice, and he was totally comfortable doing that.

Make sure you give it a good scrub and wash so it's clean when she uses it. I line all mine with newspaper and hay, and sometimes some fleece too.

In what instance do you mean? If you went to the vet with her?

Well, mostly in the instance of the car; Would she be more comfortable if I was talking to her or something?

Oh, and I checked, the Vet in NY is actually a shorter distance away.

In the car, I tend to put mine with the front (so with the door) facing me so I can talk to them or sing to them, they can see me, etc.

I know this doesn't apply to you, but if I have more than one carrier then I will put them in the back facing each other so they can draw comfort from each other.

Your bun will see you as safe, so will probably feel better if you are there, but if that's not possible then your bun will cope :)

At the vets it is far better for you to be there because you know more than anyone else in your household :)

Back