Quality of life for seniors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momma Luvbun

Reaction score
Good day to you all.
I have been wondering what kind of toys and food I should be providing to my buns as they age. They are free roam with full access to my converted 1 car garage little home.

I believe my two to be seniors now (approx 5&6 possibly less a yr each) and want to make sure I am providing them with the best life, which includes their aging needs. They are fixed, vax'd and get yearly checkups.

Any ideas will be helpful when it comes to diet (what to give and not) toys for teeth etc.
When do I start giving them alfalfa hay again(if at all/ever)? Do their teeth get loose when chewing harder items, causing them to loose teeth??

I am in BC Canada where I choose to "gather" and "forage" for native fawna, as well as grow them their own bunny garden.

Thanks in advance to all who reply 👍🥰
Enjoy a photo of them and how they tell me they want outside to frolic in the sunshine 🤗

Attachments

• IMG_20210504_071651175.jpg
    IMG_20210504_071651175.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 0
Grass & hay do more for teeth than "chew toys." I don't think you need to alter anything at this stage. House rabbits can live 10 years or more so I didn't consider my 6 year olds to be senior. Some members here have had their rabbits live well into their teens.

You'll notice when they do show signs of aging by their behavior. If they're still frolicking, they're doing well!

@Blue eyes
Ohh yes, I am getting quite bunny savvy over the years however I haven't had older buns.
My last girl, passed away suddenly, at age 5 and she was active right up to 8 days before her passing. I expected her to live to 9-10 at least.

Her widow and his new wife are both in great shape and I have no issues. However, I want to be on top of their care and giving them the best quality of life including enrichment toy and age appropriate foods.
I rarely feed them pellets, opting instead for an unlimited supply of hay, and a mix of greens for supper time.

I keep forgetting to ask my vet about this when we're in for checkups and such 🤦‍♀️, because I'm happy they are always given a passing grade for their health, teeth and ears 🥰

Good day to you all.
I have been wondering what kind of toys and food I should be providing to my buns as they age. They are free roam with full access to my converted 1 car garage little home.

I believe my two to be seniors now (approx 5&6 possibly less a yr each) and want to make sure I am providing them with the best life, which includes their aging needs. They are fixed, vax'd and get yearly checkups.

Any ideas will be helpful when it comes to diet (what to give and not) toys for teeth etc.
When do I start giving them alfalfa hay again(if at all/ever)? Do their teeth get loose when chewing harder items, causing them to loose teeth??

I am in BC Canada where I choose to "gather" and "forage" for native fawna, as well as grow them their own bunny garden.

Thanks in advance to all who reply 👍🥰
Enjoy a photo of them and how they tell me they want outside to frolic in the sunshine 🤗
Your buns are too cute and so patient!
My Minx would have the slippers and the rug half chewed while waiting!
Don’t we just love our buns!!!
Welcome ❤️🐇💕🐇

Back