Quality, cheap pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
I'm new here, first post, so um...excuse any mistakes I might make. XD

I have three rabbits currently, and my inside one((Rex cross)) is on Kaytee Timothy Complete. My two in the garage((both are New Zealands)) are on 16% Purina Show Formula.

I'm looking to switch all three to one or the other, or change brands completely.

The Rex will be a year old next month, and the NZ's are about 3 months old, if it helps.

I'm trying to find((I think, I've been told so many differing things on rabbit food :c)) 14-16% protein and 18-20% fiber. Low in calcium((under 1%, under .6% is better, I'm pretty sure)). If it comes in really big bags((like 20 lbs or more)) that would be AWESOME, but if not that's okay. I'm also looking for lower prices...nothing TOO expensive.

A few I've been looking at are American Pet Diner Timmy Pellets, and Zupreem((which I can get from the vet 45 minutes away, or try and locate another place with it)). Are they good?

The New Zealands should be on an alfalfa pellet with 15-16% protein until they are around 1 year old.

You said you're looking for less expensive pellets- would APD or Zupreem actually be any less expensive than Kaytee? Or just because you can get them in bulk? Oxbow also makes great pellets that can be ordered in bulk. I feed Oxbow to my adult rabbits, but in very small quantities as they're all on low pellet, high hay and veggie diets.

What is available at feed/farm stores in your area? Several companies make good quality feeds with 15% protein and decent fiber. I'm currently feeding the Heinhold show formula to my baby bun, and it's 15/20. Pen Pals is similar but I'd have to drive a lot farther for it. A 40 lb bag of either of those brands costs around $15, and is what I prefer for my baby bun or when I've raised foster babies for the local shelter.

Possibly, depending on where I get it. The bulk factor is probably influencing me more, because I go through about 1 1/3 cups of feed per day and I can't drive myself anywhere so I would feel bad bugging my mum every few weeks to go buy more food.

I only know of one feed store in my area((though I know there's more)), and I think it only sells Purina at 16% and 18%. A 50# bag is about $15-20, but some would spoil before I'm done. I might stick with it if I can't find anything better. =)

Latest posts

Back